Author Topic: GAG15 - November ?  (Read 16218 times)

GAG15 - November ?
« on: September 14, 2010, 09:32:41 »
We're getting closer... Any fixed dates yet?

EDIT: modified the title to fit the venue
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 06:57:04 by kirok »

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Re: GAG15 - October?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 10:26:06 »
Saturday November 13th for the event.
Montgomery Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion, Kent Street, as the venue.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

cavecats

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 10:47:33 »
Saturday November 13th for the event.
Montgomery Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion, Kent Street, as the venue.

Blue -

Woohoo....I'll be in town that weekend!!!!

missbug

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 10:55:39 »
and feds get Thurs., Nov. 11th off... can we have the publication time for GAG caches as sometime on Wed. Nov. 10th?  ::)  ;)

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 11:13:27 »
Before people ask about the date being pushed out to November, there were many factors involved in the decision. With October being a prime month for hall bookings (Thanksgiving, Halloween), add to that key members of tge CCC had conflicting availability on certain weekends that month, wedecuded to push it out to November. As Missbug said, the bonus is the 11th is a fed holiday (remembrance day), which potentially gives us a day off to puzzle solve (and next year too)

Tentative theme this year is hunting season

missbug

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 11:18:34 »
i would prefer the theme to have something to do with the environment rather than hunting.

recycling (containers), reusing (archived caches), nature adoration, animals, green transportation, camo-containers (works with hunting too), water/land/air (hides), etc.

just sayin'  ;)

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 11:47:00 »
I hope the finale is a 'bring your own meal' type occasion.

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 12:44:14 »
Great, I'm off the 11th and have a compressed Friday on the 12th.  Lots of time to prep for my first event.  ;D

Can someone post some info for newbies?   ???

Is anyone allowed to put out a cache?  I know there was some discussion about this at the last meeting (possible change in naming convention for the GAG caches) but I'm sure there are more people like myself who haven't participated in a GAG or OMAX yet.

Thanks

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
Re: GAG15 - November?
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 12:52:57 »
11th some have off and the 12th is a PD day for some schools.  The caches have been published on the Wednesday lately, I think in the afternoon/evening.  I am sure something can be arranged with reviewers.

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 13:13:53 »
Can someone post some info for newbies?   ???

When we have more concrete information to share, we'll post it and publish the cache page.  Sit tight.    A good way to get more info about the general idea of a GAG event is to look at the old GAG cache pages.

While this year will not be as elaborate, you can get the gist of the "rules" by reading up on the GAG 11 page:

http://coord.info/GC15RBJ

qtman

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 13:22:01 »
If the event takes place on Nov.12th weekend.

Please keep in mind that this year there is

2010 Deer Seasons
Rifles, Shotguns, Bows and Muzzle-loaders,

from Nov.1st until Nov14th. 2010

Be careful where you place a cache.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 13:24:51 »
I have rarely shot at anyone searching for a micro in a pine tree, or under a lamp skirt.

This is GAG15 folks, not GreenAcres15...  ::) ::)
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

missbug

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 13:28:39 »
perhaps we can offer free orange caps or toques at the october meet n eat? (does the CCC have extra money to supply these?) i'll buy my own otherwise. that's scary!

The red-haired witch

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 13:45:27 »
perhaps we can offer free orange caps or toques at the october meet n eat? (does the CCC have extra money to supply these?) i'll buy my own otherwise. that's scary!

You do realise that diverse hunting seasons (deer, moose, bear, with bow, crossbow, rifles, black powder guns) pretty much means that it is big game hunting season from the beginning of September to the end of December?  If you add small game, it is always hunting season.

Not that scary, really... based on past stats, the odds of a tree breanch randomly falling on your head as you walk in the woods are as high as those of being shot by hunter.  Both events are unlikely enough not to deter me to go in the woods.  And I also usually won't wear an orange safety hat just in case  ;)  I do wear orange when hunting though (hunters have a higher risk of getting accidentally shot by other hunters).

Obviously, hiking at dawn or dusk wearing a brown fur coat would be a bad idea.  Brightly colored clothes are always good for hiking anyway, makes it much easier for the SAR team to spot you if you need to be found  ;D

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 13:47:49 »

Obviously, hiking at dawn or dusk wearing a brown fur coat would be a bad idea.  Brightly colored clothes are always good for hiking anyway, makes it much easier for the SAR team to spot you if you need to be found  ;D

So much for my antlered beer cap I guess...be vewwy vewwy quiet....
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss