Author Topic: GAG15 - November ?  (Read 14642 times)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Re: GAG15 - November ?
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2010, 10:35:31 »
yes, not published yet though....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

PhotoCrasher

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2010, 14:34:11 »
First cache placed and reviewed... just waiting for the magic day to get published :)

missbug

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2010, 07:55:13 »
http://coord.info/GC2FCFH  ;D

so does the cache-hunting start at 6pm friday night then? just checking  ;)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2010, 08:55:48 »
Caches? What caches?

GAG15 is just an event where we all get together to enjoy each other's company! That's all....

The event listing was initially refused publication despite wording that was almost identical to the GAG14 and GAG13 cache pages, so you'll note that the description says nothing about all sorts of caches being published on the Wednesday before the event and people hunting those caches, all coincidentally prefixed "GAG15", starting at 1800 hrs Friday. That's not allowed you see....

See you on the trails...

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça

missbug

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2010, 11:51:17 »
 ??? wacky.

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2010, 11:54:30 »
??? wacky.

It's been like that for well over a year. Groundspeak's people don't want anyone to encourage others to place caches (either by giving a prize, publishing an event or making it a requirement to find another cache).

There is good reasoning behind that, so I guess it's not that wacky.

missbug

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 12:25:33 »
they wouldnt have jobs if people didn't place caches! i still think it's bogus  ::)

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2010, 12:30:41 »
They know there will be more than enough caches even by not encouraging others to place some.

They are just afraid of people placing caches "just for" [insert reason here] and not maintaining them afterwards. I guess it can be seen as self-control.

GreyingJay

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2010, 12:49:21 »
You mean they finally realized that they're the ones who get the black eye if the world is littered with geo-trash.

I think this is a good thing.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2010, 13:17:21 »
You know what would be even better? If they made it easier for us to find archived caches, so we can clean them up...

Pokaroo

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2010, 13:26:08 »
I know where there are a couple of those  ;D Should I yank them  ;)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2010, 13:30:42 »
It's no secret that the GAG events started as a means to populate the region with caches, and have continued with that tradition even though there's no real need for that function anymore. So while the event page can't overtly ask people to place caches it's understood that everyone is welcome to hide a GAG15 cache if they wish.

There's no requirement to do so, and no reward for placing a cache, but that's the tradition of the GAG events and I expect people will will continue to honour it.

Since there's no incentive to place poor hides I suspect the 'geo-trash' ratio to be lower than usual....

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça

Pokaroo

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2010, 13:36:49 »
Well chances are you would put them out eventually anyway so putting GAG15 - onthe front of them makes it fun and fosters community.

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2010, 13:45:17 »
Since there's no incentive to place poor hides I suspect the 'geo-trash' ratio to be lower than usual....

I'm wondering if the ratio of archived caches vs placed caches for events like GAG and OMAX are comparable. The first OMAX clearly encouraged people to hide caches in order to be entered in a draw for a GPSr. Would the ratio be higher than an event without an incentive?

No matter what, GAG (or any other event of this type) doesn't make sense without the caches published for the event. As long as Groundspeak let people continue to publish caches at a specific time/day, we won't be concerned with their stricter guidelines.

GreyingJay

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2010, 15:20:15 »

I think one thing people also need to keep in mind is that the bar needs to be set a little higher for GAG caches, especially because of how much traffic the cache will get within the first 48 hours.  I might be able to get away with a lame hide in a bad spot if it only gets a couple of visits a week, but we'll all know very very quickly if a GAG cache gets shut down because it was on private property and someone calls the authorities.  And it happens at least once every GAG...

Of course, since we vote on all the "best hide", "best camo", etc., that's certainly incentive to put out good hides.  There's no prize for "most caches hidden".