Author Topic: Waymarking...Before I knew about it?  (Read 2214 times)

GopherGreg

Waymarking...Before I knew about it?
« on: May 21, 2013, 15:12:18 »
  I put this under "Geocaching Websites", as it is something made by Groundspeak, but if I have the wrong categorie, please move it, so next time I know...

Last summer I discovered 'Waymarking.com'. I went around Kanata and got a few at the Centrum, and at the nearby stores. A few weeks later I traveled to New York, and found a large number of them, as there seems to be at least three or four on every building/statue. I cam back to Kanata, and logged a few more. Last march, I logged a few while in Jay Peak. I am currently over 100, waymarks.

I've started to see Waymarking, as a thing I can do while in a new area, when I don't have time to cache, and I want to see some new things. And since Waymarks often bring you to new, interesting places (Like one I got on top of Jay Peak mountain, 4000 feet up), it is very fitting.

I've also started to see Waymarks as a way to keep track of all the places I've been to, wether the statue of liberty in New York (Interesting places) or the Tim Hortons around the corner of my house (Not so interesting). I noticed Waymarkers log their own Waymark as 'visited', which in a way makes some sense.

Now, my question: I wanted to see just how many Waymarks were out there, so I looked up old places I'd been to, before I even cached.

I found a great number of Waymarks in Florida, lost of them which I've been to. My question is: Since I've been there, would it be "Wrong" to log them now? I thought it would be cool to keep track of where I'd been, and since I started Waymarking, I've done a pretty good job of that. But, could I log stuff I've seen in the past? Like Disneyland? Or is it frowned upon/against Waymarking rules?
 :-\
Just curious...

Thanks,

Greg
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 15:48:08 by GopherGreg »

GreyingJay

Re: Waymarking...Before I knew about it?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 15:19:26 »
I don't personally partake in Waymarking (too many other things to do already!) but from a quick Google search, it seems this is acceptable:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=302012&view=findpost&p=5148622

I know that lots of virtual caches have wording to the effect of "you must go there with your GPS, no 'I was just there last vacation' finds", the intent of which is to prevent exactly the type of log you are proposing. They'll ask you to provide some info which you could only obtain by being there, such as the year on a plaque.

My understanding is that some Waymark owners can also ask you for a photo or to describe specific information you could only obtain by going there with the Waymark find in mind. Others don't care and just want you to have been there, at some point.

So I would say that if you are able to fulfil the log requirements of a Waymark using a previous visit, then go for it.

Thanks for asking, though. It shows a level of respect for the rules of the game that is increasingly rare.

(Edited after I did some research)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 15:38:21 by GreyingJay »

GopherGreg

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 15:34:12 »
I can't speak for waymarking, but I know that lots of virtual caches (very similar in concept) have wording to the effect of "you must go there with your GPS, no 'I was just there last vacation' finds", the intent of which is to prevent exactly the type of log you are proposing.

On the other hand, just like logging finds on physical caches that you didn't actually go to, the only person you'd be "hurting" is yourself.

So I would say that it is up to you, unless the waymark descriptions have some kind of disclaimer about "you must provide a photo with you holding your GPS" or some such. Perhaps they don't.

Thanks for asking, though. It shows a level of respect for the rules of the game that is increasingly rare.

I know that for virtuals, but virtuals also have questions to answer while Waymarking doesn't. If you could log virtuals like that, I'd have nearly 50 of them logged.

I have a feeling it's a similar case for Waymarking.

Plus, I don't want to hurt myself.  :'(  If it's not aloud, why do it?

GreyingJay

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 15:35:31 »
Whoops, looks like we were both editing at the same time.

I have edited my original post with updated answers based on some researching.

New answer: go for it, if you want.

GopherGreg

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 15:37:23 »
I don't personally partake in Waymarking (too many other things to do already!) but from a quick Google search, it seems this is acceptable:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=302012&view=findpost&p=5148622

I know that lots of virtual caches have wording to the effect of "you must go there with your GPS, no 'I was just there last vacation' finds", the intent of which is to prevent exactly the type of log you are proposing. They'll ask you to provide some info which you could only obtain by being there, such as the year on a plaque. My understanding is that some Waymark owners can also ask you for a photo or to describe specific information you could only obtain by going there.

So I would say that if you are able to fulfil the log requirements of a Waymark using a previous visit, then go for it.

(Edited after I did some research)

I'll wait for a few more answers, then I'll see. Thanks Kevin.

elyob

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 21:30:34 »
Each of the waymarking categories has different requirements for visiting (or creating) their waymarks.  For example, some categories encourage you to use photographs or stories of your visits from vacations in the past.  Other categories specifically request that you do NOT include photographs from such vacations.  I have not yet encountered a waymark owner that will delete a visit log.  Try to respect the stated visit instructions but nearly all waymark owners will be satisfied and pleased with an interesting and descriptive log entry.

petendot

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 20:47:55 »
Hi Greg - We have done over 7700 waymarks for the same reasons - it was a fun way to see a new area when travelling.  Once we have done our required one or two caches for our map and any interesting ones, we have been switching to waymarking lately as they are usually the places we want to sightsee.  I have over 15 countries that I could still back log as waymarks and maybe one day I will.  I have done a couple of the places I have been as a retro visit- most waymark owners welcome retro logs as they consider them to be part of the history of the waymark.  I try to do ones I can provide a picture.  I have only had one log deleted by the owner. If you want anymore info, feel free to e-mail me.  Have fun.  -petendot

GopherGreg

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 10:32:25 »
Hi Greg - We have done over 7700 waymarks for the same reasons - it was a fun way to see a new area when travelling.  Once we have done our required one or two caches for our map and any interesting ones, we have been switching to waymarking lately as they are usually the places we want to sightsee.  I have over 15 countries that I could still back log as waymarks and maybe one day I will.  I have done a couple of the places I have been as a retro visit- most waymark owners welcome retro logs as they consider them to be part of the history of the waymark.  I try to do ones I can provide a picture.  I have only had one log deleted by the owner. If you want anymore info, feel free to e-mail me.  Have fun.  -petendot

Thanks. I also look to waymarking when I'm in a n area with no time to find a cache - It brings you to new places!

Greg

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 20:43:50 »
I think that you'll find that waymarking will take you to some very scenic spots, some a lot prettier than geocaching in the local ditches. Waymarking also provides you with an opportunity to revisit places you have been before by means of the waymark page. By all means log waymarks if you've been there before they were. The point is to bring you to the spot, and if you've already been there you have done everything the waymark wants you too.

I have often sat at the computer revisiting places I have traveled to in the past. I very often have photos to show as well.

Have fun with it. But remember that every waymark category may not suit you. Pick the ones you like and ignore the rest.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss