Author Topic: Garmin Export problem  (Read 4728 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

lostinthegarden

  • Jr. Cacher
  • **
  • Posts: 92
Garmin Export problem
« on: June 09, 2013, 20:36:04 »
I've just noticed that the Garmin Export macro is writing caches to the SD card, but all the attribute POI's to the GPS instead of the SD card.  So the SD card has caches in the GPX directory and the POI and POI_Stash directories are empty, and the GPS has POI and POI_Stash directories full of files.  The macro used to write it all to the SD card.  I have the latest version of the macro and GSAK.

Is anyone else having this problem?  I just updated GSAK to the latest build but I'm not sure how long the problem has been going on. I couldn't find anything on the GSAK macro page but I'll keep looking.

Mrs. LITG

portera

  • Big Time Cacher
  • *****
  • Posts: 582
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
Re: Garmin Export problem
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 20:45:19 »
I just checked mine and don't even have a POI folder on my SD card, so I'm no help. POIs don't seems to fall victim to the crash/lost caches bug, so I have never worried about it, though come to think of it, I've had very few of those crashes for a long time...

lostinthegarden

  • Jr. Cacher
  • **
  • Posts: 92
Re: Garmin Export problem
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 20:53:50 »
Maybe I'll just ignore it.  We have about 4 SD cards for when we travel and like to keep the POI info separated but it's probably not important.

BlackRose67

  • Big Time Cacher
  • *****
  • Posts: 589
Re: Garmin Export problem
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 22:39:28 »
I've been using the export macro since late last year, and as far as I am aware, it's always done that split (GPX to SD, POI to GPS) for me.

I export my finds as POIs also.

kirok

  • Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • *****
  • Posts: 691
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
Re: Garmin Export problem
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 17:50:55 »
It has been doing this all along for me as well, so I've just taken to moving the POI and POI_Stash contents onto the card manually.  Since I'm connected anyway, I also take the opportunity to clear my geocache_visits file4, any archived GPX waypoints and tracks I don't want, and repopulate my "secret stash".  ;)

portera

  • Big Time Cacher
  • *****
  • Posts: 582
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
Re: Garmin Export problem
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 18:31:04 »
As all macro source code is visible and editable, it is conceivable that you could go in and modify it to put the POI data on the SD card. It is probably not worth it though...

kirok

  • Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • *****
  • Posts: 691
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
Re: Garmin Export problem
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 19:34:53 »
As all macro source code is visible and editable, it is conceivable that you could go in and modify it to put the POI data on the SD card. It is probably not worth it though...

I thought of that when I first encountered the issue.  Then thought twice about it after seeing the 5000+ lines of code.  I do enough programing at work, so I don't need more at home.  Maybe we can sub it out to GreyingJay for a nominal fee.  :P

lostinthegarden

  • Jr. Cacher
  • **
  • Posts: 92
Re: Garmin Export problem
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 21:38:49 »
I think we'll live with the POI's on the garmin.  Often there is no gps plugged in - just the SD card, so maybe that's what confused me when the GPS was plugged in for an update.  Usually I just move files around from the computer to the Oregon and GPSmap62s. Funny how it was only now that I noticed.  That macro is so complicated I won't be messing with it!  Just figured out how to get the "Date Placed" on the GPS.

Sapper76

  • Guest
Re: Garmin Export problem
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 10:59:59 »
Putting the Date Placed on the GPSr is something I've been wanting to do for a while. Can you please share how you went about doing it?

Thanks,

Sapper.

BlackRose67

  • Big Time Cacher
  • *****
  • Posts: 589
Re: Garmin Export problem
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 15:01:41 »
I'd like to know how to add the Date Placed to the export as well.

I didn't see anything obvious in the export macro.

lostinthegarden

  • Jr. Cacher
  • **
  • Posts: 92
Re: Garmin Export problem
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 20:17:17 »
Sorry I haven't answered before this, but somehow I missed the earlier post.

On the right hand side of the pop-up screen for Garmin Export there is a drop down box labeled "Custom User Export macros".
Select "AddToFirstLog" and press the "Edit" button.  Add the line
$_Special = "Date placed: $d_PlacedDate", or anything else you want to show up in the fake first log.