Author Topic: Map sources  (Read 3932 times)

F0restGrump

Map sources
« on: June 20, 2013, 12:30:08 »
I searched for this but could not find anything. If there is another topic talking to this, or if I have put this in the incorrect spot, please let me know!

I thought I would start a thread to discuss sources for maps. I for one download all my maps free from http://magicmaps.ca/ for my Magellan.

What sources do everyone else use?

Thanks,

FG

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
Re: Map sources
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 13:46:45 »
I use osmmaps.com for the routeable Canadian map I have on my Garmin GPS.

I also use garmin.openstreetmap.nl for the installable maps I use in Garmin BaseCamp.

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
Maps - Windows8
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 15:14:28 »
I've recently upgraded and have a new CPU.   It doesn't come with a CD rom so I can't use my Mapsource CD to load it    I've also forgotten how to load maps into Mapsource.   I managed to find it on-oline but does anyone know how I can load maps.  I have TopoCanada maps on CD (sigh!).  Does anyone have it on a MicroSC card?   Sigh, the upgrade blues.  I'm getting used to it but it's a learning curve.

BluePanther51

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 21:01:18 »
There are a few utilities that will let you use an ISO file as a CDROM drive, you can get the disk image online  or someone with a CD drive can copy the image to an USB stick.  I use the ibycus maps. After this weekend I'm looking to add the local trail maps.  Daemon tools works on windows machines, and use mount -o loop on linux
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 07:26:33 by BluePanther51 »

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
Re: Maps - Windows8
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 10:18:35 »
I will bring Topo Canada v4 on MicroSD to the workshop on Thursday.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 14:54:37 »
For $30 you can buy an external usb DVD drive. Problem solved. Yes, you could learn to use ISO files, but why stress over learning mew methods when yhere is a quick fix available

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 11:57:58 »

Thanks so much.   See you at the workshop   That should help.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 10:27:02 »

Thanks so much.   See you at the workshop   That should help.
One thing you'll need to be careful of is licensing.

Garmin has been cracking down on map licensing issues and some of Garmin's latest firmware updates are breaking maps that used to work, so make sure your own license code is the one that gets used.

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
Maps!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 23:19:02 »
After Saturday's outing with the geomob, I realized that I don't have NCC dedale maps on my Oregon 650.   I read dedales instructions, simple I thought.  Off I went.  Now my 650 no longer shows my Citinavigator maps.   It is as though the NCC maps are overlaying my Citinavigator and Topo maps.   Yuk.  I can no longer navigate with it.   Just wondered if anyone had thoughts about a potential solution.  I've been at it all day just about and am no longer ahead.  Yes, I checked my maps set-up and the Citinavigator and topo are there in addition to the NCC.   Even when I deactivate the NCC, I still can't see Citinavigator.    Yippes!   Not a good week so far .....   ???

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
Re: Maps! on Oregon
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 13:43:05 »
After Saturday's outing with the geomob, I realized that I don't have NCC dedale maps on my Oregon 650.   I read dedales instructions, simple I thought.  Off I went.  Now my 650 no longer shows my Citinavigator maps.   It is as though the NCC maps are overlaying my Citinavigator and Topo maps.   Yuk.  I can no longer navigate with it.   Just wondered if anyone had thoughts about a potential solution.  I've been at it all day just about and am no longer ahead.  Yes, I checked my maps set-up and the Citinavigator and topo are there in addition to the NCC.   Even when I deactivate the NCC, I still can't see Citinavigator.    Yippes!   Not a good week so far .....   ???

Well, lessons learned.   After three calls to Garmin, eventually I had to do a hard reset of my GPS.  Seems that my Citinavigator had been corrumpted.   I was also trying to load all of TopoCanada AND CitiNavigator 2015.    I learned that you can't load more than 4000 kg at a time.   TopoCanada alone is 7613 - way too big.  My topo is an older CD that I'd purchased a few years ago.   Apparently, the newer TopoCanada is much more compact and one could load it all at once.  I ended loading only the areas of the country I wanted (Ontario, Quebec, B.C.).  I deselected Alaska, Yukon, basically, anywhere I'm not likely to need Topo info.    Now using 'MapInstall' , I was successful in loading all of CN 2015, my selected TOPO, Ontario Trails and NCC Trails.   I'm a happy camper now.