Author Topic: GPSMAP 64 Series introduced  (Read 3209 times)

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
GPSMAP 64 Series introduced
« on: January 13, 2014, 12:40:01 »
This pretty much confirms why the GPSMAP 62 units were being sold at such great prices.

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2014/01/garmin-introduces-gpsmap-64-series-updating-popular-outdoor-handheld.html

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
Re: GPSMAP 64 Series introduced
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 17:08:16 »
Oooooo.....

"The GPSMAP 64s adds a 3-axis electronic compass and barometric altimeter. Additionally, the 64s adds wireless connectivity for data transfer between other compatible Garmin handhelds and mobile apps, and for Smart Notification technology. With this, users can receive emails, texts and alerts right on the device (when paired with an iPhone 4S and later). This allows users’ smartphones to be safely protected from the elements. "

When they say "paired", I'm assuming Bluetooth, as I don't see them requiring us to put a SIM card in these things.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 17:11:38 »
Interesting however, that all the 62s pricing is back up to $299 online in most places.

The 64s is on pre-order at GPScity for $399.  Expected release date is Feb 3 2014.

"Honey, Valentine's day is coming soon..."  :D

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 22:06:45 »
Oooooo.....

"The GPSMAP 64s adds a 3-axis electronic compass and barometric altimeter. Additionally, the 64s adds wireless connectivity for data transfer between other compatible Garmin handhelds and mobile apps, and for Smart Notification technology. With this, users can receive emails, texts and alerts right on the device (when paired with an iPhone 4S and later). This allows users’ smartphones to be safely protected from the elements. "

When they say "paired", I'm assuming Bluetooth, as I don't see them requiring us to put a SIM card in these things.
I find it interesting that Garmin have released an Android based GPS (as flaky as it may be at the moment), but still no Android version of BaseCamp Mobile.

GreyingJay

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 12:21:34 »
The problem with introducing so many new models is that their engineers are going to be so busy developing new toys that they aren't fixing the problems with the old ones...

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 12:45:46 »
The problem with introducing so many new models is that their engineers are going to be so busy developing new toys that they aren't fixing the problems with the old ones...
Very true.

The eTrex 20 that I bought new in December 2011 still has some unresolved issues after 8 or 9 firmware updates.

I took all that into consideration when I chose to go with an older model that had most issues ironed out when I bought a new GPS late last year.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 13:25:30 »
I read the Blog post and didn't find any mention of "Opencaching", but there was this line:

"..."when they register their device they can sign up for the free premium membership trial through Geocaching.com..."

Have GARMIN and Groundspeak kissed and made up?

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 17:31:06 »
Unlimited caches (please tell me GSAK now supports this from the 6xx series), GLONASS and working proximity circles would make me change.

All three.

I bet one will be missing (proximity circles).

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 21:34:05 »
Unlimited caches (please tell me GSAK now supports this from the 6xx series), GLONASS and working proximity circles would make me change.

All three.

GSAK version 8 does support the creation of GGZ files for the newer units that use that file format (basically a ZIP file with an XML index inside the file - no more GPX parsing issues).

Starkiller

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 12:36:26 »

All three.

The garmin unit running cachesense can use proximity circles. And unlimited caches... And the unit uses GLONASS.

It is probably missing stability and extensive field testing, though...