Author Topic: New Garmin Monterra - WiFi enabled with Android OS  (Read 8480 times)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
Re: New Garmin Monterra - WiFi enabled with Android OS
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 09:03:00 »
Looks interesting.  Would be nice to have a uniti with WI-FI built in for transferring files off a laptop or smart phone.  I'll have to add this to my Christmas list.........for Christmas 2014 when the bugs have been worked out and it is a little more affordable.

GreyingJay

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 10:31:15 »
It looks very intriguing.

I like geocaching with my iPhone because of the convenience of always being able to check for nearby caches, directly look up previous logs and photos while in the field, and then log my find -- including taking a photo -- directly from the device. I can also access my pocket queries, look at maps, and all that other good stuff that I can't do directly on my Garmin GPSMAP.

However, there are a few weaknesses to the smartphone-as-GPS approach, not the least of which is that GPS use burns through battery life and the phone is nowhere near as rugged. (And other complaints, like no chirp support, no breadcrumbs...)

This Monterra sounds like it would be the best of both worlds. Load up the Geocaching app onto that thing and you have an all-in-one solution.

At $650, though, I'll be waiting for a Christmas sale, or eventual price drops.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 16:28:06 »
I was really hoping they'd give up on their failed OpenCaching.com attempt, but alas...

"Monterra is a heavyweight geocaching device, meaning it can hold millions of geocaches. Download caches from OpenCaching.com, or use a downloaded Android app, and users won’t run out of room. All the paperless geocaching features, such as descriptions, hints and logs, will be there for every single cache. Cachers can also view photos, connect to chirp® enabled caches, and filter caches by size, terrain, difficulty and type. "

Read kind-of like:  "get caches directly from OUR site (i.e. built-in), or you can download some app to get stuff from somewhere else".

elyob

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 21:24:23 »
In the whole world, how many active opencaching.com caches are there?

GreyingJay

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 09:26:09 »
Well even if I bought a Monterra (and it looks tempting) as a stock Android device I'm probably going to just run the official Geocaching app anyway.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 10:17:27 »
One thing I have to wonder about....when running the GPS on my Android smartphone, it eats the battery like crazy.
My wife's phone has a newer version of Android on it, but it still eats the batteries.

A pair of decent AA rechargeable cells won't have that much more capacity than the Li-Ion cells found in phones.
I'd be curious to see what the battery life will be on this unit.

GreyingJay

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 11:13:15 »
Yup. Although, even if it does eat AA's, you can always bring a pack of them and swap out as needed. When I cache with my iPhone, once I drop below 10-20% battery power, I have to stop caching and sit/drive for at least an hour to let it charge back up again. (And, really, it doesn't take much to drop the battery that low -- an afternoon of multis is all it takes.) It's doubly important to keep the iPhone from dying since, well, it's also my phone.

A phone GPS/app is good for short and casual sessions of park-and-grab caches, but not much else. A dedicated GPS is much better for planned outings. This Monterra might be the thing to bridge the gap.

GreyingJay

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 11:22:49 »
Here's a link with some first impressions, screenshots, and photos.

http://www.pocketnavigation.de/2013/06/garmin-monterra-wurf-bruder/

I don't speak a word of German but the pictures tell quite a story. That thing looks pretty big!

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 11:59:17 »
Looking at the screen icons it'll do everything but find the cache for you, but why didn't they include Wherigo?

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 12:31:12 »
Looking at the screen icons it'll do everything but find the cache for you, but why didn't they include Wherigo?

Silly, Wherigo belongs to geocaching.com, not GARMIN!

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 21:25:41 »
None of the new units from Garmin (eTrex 10/20/30, Oregon 600/650, Monterra) support Wherigo.

Given that the apps and software created by Geocaching.com haven't been updated in 5 years, it seems they've abandoned it.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 12:51:36 »
Some basic hands-on info about the new Monterra.  No review yet.

http://gpstracklog.com/2013/11/garmin-monterra-android-first-looks.html

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 14:13:03 »
Wow, am I ever going to let someone else beta test that puppy!  :o

GreyingJay

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 16:08:29 »
Very tempting to try out!

One nice thing about being Android based is that it will likely be tweakable/hackable by the Android developer community. That means that should there be any really annoying bugs that Garmin can't/won't fix, it may be possible for someone else to provide a patch or a workaround (such as a third-party app that replaces the built-in functionality).

My car stereo system is now Android based (Parrot Asteroid Smart) and I can actually run the official Geocaching app -- came in handy during GAG20 when I was planning my route. I had a pocket query of GAG20 caches so I could see the clustering on a map, then select one and get turn-by-turn guidance via Google Navigation. The factory software of the Parrot unit has flaws, but third-party apps and tweaks have since come out to address various shortcomings.

This thing promises to be THE all-in-one Geocaching device. Search, download, find, take pictures, and log from the field. All the benefits of geocaching from your iPhone/Android without the risk of damaging your emergency lifeline or killing your battery life.