Author Topic: Found an archived cache  (Read 4763 times)

geobob7

• Jr. Cacher
  • GC3R69H
Re: Found an archived cache
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 20:55:42 »
What is the Lonely Cache challenge mentioned by JSDAFM? Sounds interesting...

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 21:42:34 »

There are few out there, but I believe the closest to you would be mine (Défi des caches solitaires Québec / Ontario).

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 08:51:17 »

I think JSDAFM was referring to the "Projet R-R-R Project - Gatineau/Ottawa" by cron (GC1NTCD), http://coord.info/GC1NTCD, which is now archived. It was designed as an attempt to clean up geo-garbage by removing abandoned caches from the world.

A worthwhile effort IMO....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 16:27:28 »
Found a couple more today.

The Student Cache (4 years since last find!)

Little box of horrors

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 10:04:28 »
Someone on the forum.geocaching-qc.com site decided to maintain a list of archived caches (for our province). The first list used to be a manual listing with URLs of archived caches in a month, but it's now a bookmark on gc.com. This means you can easily map all the archived caches in Quebec through a PQ generated from the monthly bookmark. It's very easy to identify the possibly still in place archived caches. I have a list of about 30-40 caches just in our area that I plan to visit over the winter (I already found all of them).

bbrimacombe

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 16:42:23 »
tcort and I found an archived cache while we were in New York City a few days ago (http://coord.info/GC14HQM).  We were looking for another cache and thought we had found it, when tcort noticed that the GC numbers didn't match.  In retrospect, we probably widened our search area by too much but it's lucky that we did!  The cache hadn't been found since November 2007 but is still in good condition.

dcmg

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 10:34:47 »
I found my first archived cache, GC26DY7, yesterday even though it was archived last weekend. I did not retrieve the container as I was unaware of its status until I got home to log it. It's still in place if anyone else want to find it.

--DCMG

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 10:57:49 »
A find is a find. Archived caches can be fun to search out. If you want to remove the cache, just post a note on the cache page and let the delinquent cache owner know that his geo-garbage has been retrieved. Many cache owners simply archive their caches when they no longer feel like playing the game, and just leave the container in place.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

Sens-eh

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 21:51:40 »
I found my first archived cache today: Take A Hike  by Capital J http://coord.info/GC1YRAK  - well actually the muggle in our group found it by accident!

Here's my log entry:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=169e7af2-ab0f-4ad6-b857-04b495e52ce9

I got to say, this find brought out a lot of laughter in our group, it was both archived and accidently found...In fact reading down the logs on that cache page I even found Bluelamb03 stating "....far enough off the trail that I doubt very much anyone will just stumble upon it....." 

Well, that's what we did today! LOL  .Granted that was said, when there wasn't a nearby WP bringing people in closer, but still this find was so much fun!