Author Topic: Oregon 450 problems  (Read 1777 times)

Walkslots

Oregon 450 problems
« on: June 27, 2013, 06:20:48 »
My GPS accuracy is anywhere from 3 (ideal) to 10 metres. Lately, it is always at the higher end whoch makes it very hard to find a micor in the woods. I recalibrated but that doesn't help. I don't even know if that is what recalibration is for but I did it anyways  :).  Also, my backlight is not working this morning. A first for me. Any ideas what I can do to correct that?

F0restGrump

Re: Oregon 450 problems
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 07:21:15 »
I believe you have to replace the LCD screen if the backlight is broken and from what I gather, finding an LDC screen for the 450 is not an easy task. There are some PC repair shops on Bank (that I know of) that replace backlights on PCs....not sure if they could fix your 450. I can give you a few telephones numbers if you want to try them....

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 08:28:20 »
Check if it's still in warranty, I think Raytech in Montreal, http://www.raytech.ca/en/services/repair_service.asp, is the only Garmin Authorized repair depot in Canada.
Check with Garmin in case you need an authorization number.

Before all that though make sure it's not a low battery or user settings issue. You may have turned off the backlight by accident, touch screens are notorious for 'pocket dialing' different settings.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 10:25:00 »
Re-calibration would be for the 3-axis compass.

A quick test would be to get together with someone else that has a 450 and see if you are getting similar accuracy results.

Although I have a different GPS with a different chipset, after I dropped it I thought the accuracy had gone off, so I met up with CocaColaCacher to do a check to see if mine had gone off, and it was close.

If it's not a battery or setting issue and it is broken, getting a new screen may cost as much as buying a new 450, now that they are being sold new for just under $200.

Walkslots

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 12:02:14 »
Thanks for the feedback. I replaced the battery with no change and I checked and the back light goes out after 30 seconds but I don't see anywhere else where it addresses whether the backlight is on or off. I even checked out the manual.

A month ago Walksabit offered to buy me a new GPS with some of his pool winnings so it looks like I should take him up on his offer. I've only had this one 3 years but I have dropped it many times. Maybe it is one time too many.

Sapper76

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 12:43:56 »
I don't know how similar the Oregon and Montana are, but I suspect they are close. On my Montana, if I press the power button briefly, a new window comes up with a slider bar to adjust the backlight/brightness. I know of no other way to make this screen come up other than briefly pressing the power button on the side of the unit. I stumbled on this by accident shortly after I bought my Montana, as there was no user manual shipped with the device. I would be surprised if you hadn't accidentally found this feature after three years if it is the same on the Oregon, but it is possible.