Author Topic: Off clip-on  (Read 3287 times)

fradjoh

Off clip-on
« on: August 07, 2013, 11:43:15 »
We tried the off clip-on that is supposed to repel bugs: it doesn't work.  Don't waste your money!

GreyingJay

Re: Off clip-on
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 12:50:20 »
I tried one last year at camp while doing construction work and didn't find them to be helpful either.

The way these things work is they have a tiny heating element that atomizes a tiny drop of poison gas that is blown around by the tiny fan. So if you sit still long enough, maybe enough of a gas cloud will form around you to keep the bugs away. Maybe it'd be good for sitting in a lawn chair at a beach or BBQ.

But geocachers? We keep moving, then we sign the logbook, and we're off again. No time for the toxic gas cloud to accumulate around our bodies. (Hmm, come to think of it... maybe that's not such a bad thing.)

Nothing beats long sleeves and DEET!

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 13:02:14 »
Nothing beats long sleeves and DEET!
I normally use Ben's 30 (30% DEET) that you get at MEC.

The mosquitoes have been so bad this year I've already used up my bottle and need to get some more.
Debating whether to try Muskol.

I'd like to get some of that Repel Sportsman 40% DEET they sell in the US, but I don't know when I'll be heading south of the border to get some.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 15:32:13 »
Sylvie (Aldy) is trying Mozi-Q, an oral pill form of repellant - http://www.earthmedicine.ca/herbiebugjuice.html. She's a skeeter magnet, and so far we have witnessed several 'bite refusals' in the field. Testing continues...
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 21:00:55 »
Interesting.  When the Off clip-ons were first released in the US a few years ago, we bought one and a bunch of refills.  My wife has been using it ever since and it seems to work fine for her.  I still prefer the direct approach, since like Sylvie, skeeters love me and I have a mild allergic reaction to them (the bites usually swell to the size of a dime and sometimes a quarter before slowly vanishing).  I'm pretty sure we still have a few of the packets left, so I'd be curious to see what the difference in chemicals are between the US and Canadian versions of the product.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 21:09:48 »
Well, a quick search revealed that they are apparently identical in composition.  Here's the SC Johnson Material Safety Data Sheet on the stuff:

www.scjohnson.ca/msds/OFF! Clip-on Mosquito Repellent.pdf

The Consumer's Report study:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/august/health/clip-on-repellent/overview/index.htm

GreyingJay

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 09:17:32 »
The results make sense if you think about what these products are trying to do. DEET is a repellent; depending on what you read, DEET works by blocking the insects' ability to sense your presence, and/or by being a smell that insects intensely dislike. Either way, spray some on and the insects will leave you alone because they can't sense you or because they are driven away by the smell.

This Off! thing works by emitting a neurotoxin. I don't know what dosage would be required to cause a mosquito's instant death, but I don't recall seeing them (literally) dropping out of the sky when I tried the device, so presumably the effects take longer to work. Minutes? Hours? In the meantime, the poisoned mosquitoes are still free to swarm and annoy and bite before they finally succumb. And that's only talking about the mosquitoes who inhaled the vapor plume from the device. I imagine there are lots of "blind spots" that allow non-affected mosquitoes to come right in.

Use DEET.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 21:33:11 »
Use DEET.
At the workshop tonight Mrs. lostinthegarden handed me a bottle of 98.11% DEET (Made in Canada too).  Thanks!!

I'm tempted to try it on my clothes as that seemed to be the biggest issue I had on Monday when I was walking the Rideau Trail off of Huntley Road on Monday afternoon.  My shirt was covered in mosquitoes!!!

GreyingJay

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 09:16:05 »
At the workshop tonight Mrs. lostinthegarden handed me a bottle of 98.11% DEET (Made in Canada too).  Thanks!!

98%!! Where do I get me some of that?

Let us know how it works, I'd be very interested to know if the smell of such a strong concentration sprayed onto your clothing is enough to repel them from your exposed skin too.

Would be great at camp. Nothing like taking a shower and being freshly cleaned only to have to oil yourself up with DEET an hour later.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 11:05:52 »
They bought that one in Hawaii, not sure when.

It's still available in the US. It's called Deep Woods Sportsman and the latest version is 98.25% DEET.

In the BAGGERS Facebook group, Binrat posted a link to the 100% DEET version of Ben's product I normally use. 

Ben's now has a Permethrin based product for spraying clothing and gear, but it's not available in Canada.  Not sure if there would be issues bringing this one across the border.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 11:45:07 »
.. 98.11% DEET (Made in Canada too)...

Sad, but yes, we can MAKE it in that concentration here, but they can't SELL it here.  I believe there is a restriction in place that prevents the sale on anything higher than 30% DEET.

PA

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 22:46:21 »
I remember reading that anything above 35% is a waste.  Anything above that has no additional value in killing bugs

GreyingJay

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 10:11:41 »
Ben's now has a Permethrin based product for spraying clothing and gear, but it's not available in Canada.  Not sure if there would be issues bringing this one across the border.

Shouldn't be. I've bought Permanone and brought it home before.

Whether or not it works is another story - hard to tell. Again, same idea: if this stuff is poisoning the mosquitos and causing them to die a few seconds or minutes after exposure, you don't really see it directly in action.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 10:45:25 »
I'm more interested in the Permethrin based products for the ticks than the mosquitoes.

Ducky

• Baby Cacher
  • HEY... and where do you think you're going!?!?
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 19:23:01 »
Thirty years ago I use to use 99% Deet in the Army to MELT our cam sticks so that it could be applied easier :o used to make one heck of a mess if you got it on anything made of plastic.