Author Topic: Rant about souvenirs  (Read 1547 times)

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
Rant about souvenirs
« on: August 29, 2013, 23:48:44 »
[Rant begins]

I used to like souvenirs for what they are: a nice icon that allows you to reminisce all the provinces/states/countries you have visited and the special events/days you have attended.

So, I was not too impressed when I heard about the August caches. Never mind, this is anybody's game and I totally respect whomever is excited about them. Heck, I even considered doing the streak just to collect them all. But we have already done the streak, in August, just one year too early, so we were not quite as interested this year.

So, I figured we would get a souvenir for each day we found a cache this month. Fine.
But after a fun-filled trip to the Pacific Northwest for the Block Party and a lot more fun caches, I have been backlogging our vacation caches for the past few days and a couple days ago, I forgot to change the date before logging my find and ended up with a souvenir for the 28th of August even though we have not found any cache on that day. Never mind, I changed my find date. However, the souvenir did not go away.

So now, I have a "Souvenir" of my logging mistake. Not sure that I need a forever reminder that I made a logging mistake.
Besides, what that means is that anybody who is interested in having the entire month worth of souvenirs needs not bother looking for a single cache. All they need to do is to "mistakenly" log a cache on each day. They can even delete their mistaken log and still get to keep all the souvenirs.

Not like I am encouraging anybody to do so, but it is somewhat watering down the achievement of eager cachers that have made a point of going out every single day this month.
Nothing like a good old "real" challenge cache...

[Rant ends]

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Re: Rant about souvenirs
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 08:56:31 »
There was an account that had accumulated over a hundred 'souvenirs', apparently in an effort to document them all, before GroundSpeak had it brought to their attention and closed the account.

It would be nice if you could delete the mistakenly awarded souvenir.

That being said the souvenir program has never been anything more than a shiny bauble*, and the 31 days of August ones are rather ugly examples.

Blue -

*Bauble:
Noun
1.   A small, showy trinket or decoration.
2.   Something of no importance or worth.
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

GreyingJay

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 09:46:51 »
Personally I think souvenirs are silly. I can certainly understand the physical collection of souvenirs, like perhaps buying a set of state or province geocoins, or collecting action figures, stamps, etc. I have never really understood the "virtual" accumulation of souvenirs, especially ones for which no further work was required (I didn't do anything special to earn them), and as you say, it's easy to cheat the system, accidentally or not.

In fact I find them annoying because the "unseen" souvenirs show up as badges on my "Saved" tab in the Geocaching iPhone app, and won't go away until I go look at the souvenirs.

I'm doing the 31 caches in August because, hey, might as well, even though I missed the first 3 days already since I was up at camp.

F0restGrump

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 10:02:39 »
HA!!  I did the same this this morning...I was too lazy to head out to the car to get my GPSr this morning so I manually logged a yestday's find. And yes, I did not change the date. SO now I have a "souvenir" for today but no find yet. That said, I will be taking care of that issue later this afternoon.  :)

elyob

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 11:27:37 »
Groundspeak Souvenirs have already lived longer than the Groundspeak Challenges.  Apparently, somebody likes the souvenirs.

deepdowndawn

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 12:42:15 »
Personally I think souvenirs are silly. I can certainly understand the physical collection of souvenirs, like perhaps buying a set of state or province geocoins, or collecting action figures, stamps, etc. I have never really understood the "virtual" accumulation of souvenirs,

Ha! I like virtual souvenirs. much less clutter. and cost less money. :)

I do love souvenirs but the August ones are overkill. didn't stop me from getting them though...

GreyingJay

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 14:03:37 »
What might have made more sense would be "Cache for every day in August, and THEN you earn ONE souvenir for completing the '31 days of August' challenge".

Work for it. Less clutter.