Author Topic: September Workshop  (Read 1322 times)

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
September Workshop
« on: September 12, 2013, 21:05:27 »
Thanks to RDLtrekker for the wonderful presentation on Oregon tips and tricks. The back and forth with the audience was very nice, and all the tips shared left most everyone with a new function to explore on their units - even those with Map 62's and Montana's I hear...!

If you happen to have a favourite new (or old) trick, please feel free to post it here.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

fradjoh

Re: September Workshop
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 11:51:40 »
I wasn't at the workshop, so I don't know if it was mentionned...

You can edit the file Oregon/garmin/startup.txt to have a message appear at startup.  Here's mine:

<!-- Edit this file to display a message while your unit is powering on                -->
<!-- Allow one full power cycle after editing for your message to be updated           -->

<!-- Set the display number to the minimum number of seconds your message is displayed -->
<display = 3>

<!-- Type your message on the next line -->
Name
Phone
Address

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 20:37:02 »
Excellent idea! My Map60 welcome screen has the same option and reads;

Email address
Reward for Return
phone number
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 23:09:22 »
Ditto on return info on the startup screen.  I thought about the reward bit as well, but left it out.  Figured if a geocacher finds it, they'll likely return it sans reward.  If a muggle finds it, the GPS is worth more to them than any reward I'd give them for it anyway.  :D

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 08:24:22 »
I have mine set for 5 seconds.

<!-- Set the display number to the minimum number of seconds your message is displayed -->
<display = 5>

And added my geocaching ID to the message.

<!-- Type your message on the next line -->
Property of me
Geocaching.com ID: BlackRose67
If found please call
Cell number
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 08:40:05 by BlackRose67 »

GreyingJay

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 09:01:25 »
Yep, my 60csx also has a similar message on it. No such feature on my iPhone GPS though, but if I lose my iPhone while in the field, then I've got bigger problems anyway.

By the way, I now do the same thing on my camera memory card when I leave on a trip. I type up a "if found please contact" message and take a photo of it as the first picture on the memory card. Hopefully if someone were to find it, they would look through the pictures and then be able to contact me.