Author Topic: First time hider, looking for help on receiving permission  (Read 4766 times)

mano_mindfreak66

First time hider, looking for help on receiving permission
« on: October 17, 2013, 19:36:58 »
Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum here, and fairly new to Geocaching. I started in July, and I'm loving it. I've found just over 100 caches, and I'm looking to hide my own. The one thing I'm not sure about is where I go to get permission to place the hides. I have one place in mind that is on the edge of a farmers field, so I will ask him for permission, but who should I contact if I wanted to hide one on the side of the road, or in a guardrail? I've done some googling, and looking around the forums, but I can't find any information anywhere.Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

mano_mindfreak66

GreyingJay

Re: First time hider, looking for help on receiving permission
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 23:15:12 »
Permission can be kind of tricky and I think sometimes it is the white elephant in the room.

The two extreme cases are pretty easy. On the one hand, there is private property like a personal residence or farmer's field. We would be considered trespassing if we didn't have permission to be there. Therefore, the person to ask is the property owner. Then, there is "public" property such as crown land. No permission is required to be there.

But most places fall into a middle ground -- property that is privately owned, but there is an expectation that the general public is allowed to be there. For example, when I went to Walmart this evening, I was venturing onto private property, but I was allowed to be there. When you visit a city park or hike on an NCC trail, you are allowed to be there.

There used to be a shorthand called the "frisbee rule" -- if you could reasonably expect to be allowed to play frisbee with your friends in a given area, without having to ask permission, then you could reasonably expect to put a geocache there too. It's not quite as simplistic as that, but generally these are the guidelines that most of us follow. If it is reasonable to expect hikers, bikers, trail walkers, etc. then no specific permission is requested.

There are a few exceptions in areas that are known to be non-geocache friendly. For example, we know that OC Transpo forbids caches on any of their property including park-and-ride lots. There are certain high profile public facilities that are out of bounds, such as schoolyards, bridges, Parliament, etc.

With respect to the side of the road or guardrails, most caches fall within property or road easements.

GopherGreg

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 07:49:34 »
You also can't hide on Post Canada boxes. A reviewer denied one of my caches for that once.

EDITED.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:55:55 by GopherGreg »

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 14:18:12 »
Please, no reviewer bashing, especially when they had a legit reason for denying your hide. Also, keep the language family friendly. Thanks.

mano_mindfreak66

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 14:27:18 »
Thank you very much for the information! I think I am now ready to make my first hide! Still waiting to talk to the farmer, so my first will have to be a quick one. I'm hoping that if I get permission I will be able to hide a few along a trail.

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 22:34:15 »
You also can't hide on Post Canada boxes.

Is that a fairly recent addition to the guidelines?  I don't think I have enough fingers to count all the mailbox caches I have found.

GreyingJay

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 23:48:16 »
You also can't hide on Post Canada boxes.

Is that a fairly recent addition to the guidelines?  I don't think I have enough fingers to count all the mailbox caches I have found.

It seems to be inconsistently applied. I know I found one in Barrhaven fairly recently which was exactly this.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 08:39:52 »
It seems to be inconsistently applied. I know I found one in Barrhaven fairly recently which was exactly this.

I doubt that.  I believe it is simply a case of the reviewer not knowing where the hide is.  How would they know unless someone tells them or it is mentioned on the cache page? 
Bottom line, Canada Post structures and boxes are off limits, same as OC Transpo.  That will not stop people from placing caches on them and not mentioning it, but they need to be aware they are doing it against regs.  Add to that, every cache that violates the regs like this risk yet another bomb scare / media incident to draw negative attention to our game. 

GopherGreg

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 09:55:03 »
Please, no reviewer bashing, especially when they had a legit reason for denying your hide. Also, keep the language family friendly. Thanks.

I'm sorry about that. I didn't mean to bash the reviewer: He/she did her job fine. Sorry for the use of the term.

GopherGreg

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 09:57:19 »
Me and one of my friends have both been denied access to hide on post Canada Boxes, but I have found a few one them. Most Mailbox caches I've found are hidden on Ottawa Sun or those little free newspaper boxes on the side of the street.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 12:40:28 »
Newspaper boxes are another issue, and really should not be lumped in with Mailboxes.  Mailboxes are owned by Canada Post, and CP have already (to my limited knowledge) denied placement of caches on these.  Newspaper boxes however, are each owned by individual corporations, so technically permission could be obtained from The Ottawa Sun, but not from The Citizen for example.   That said, I'd bet dollars to donoughts you'd never get permission from any of the "giants", but you might be able to get if from those little guys, especially if you can convince them, it will increase their audience.  ;D

F0restGrump

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 06:45:59 »
....especially if you can convince them, it will increase their audience.  ;D

That's for sure!!!  ;D :D

GreyingJay

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 09:33:17 »

I doubt that.  I believe it is simply a case of the reviewer not knowing where the hide is.  How would they know unless someone tells them or it is mentioned on the cache page? 

Indeed.. perhaps the hider forgot to mention it was on a Canada Post box.

However, as soon as I saw the listing, description, and rough coordinates in Google Maps, I knew exactly what it would be.

http://coord.info/GC4KKER

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 11:08:10 »
Well, the description certainly says nothing about CP, in fact it says little at all about where the cache is.  The hint is pretty generic as well.  Only viewing via Google Street view leaves little doubt where the cache is hidden, but I don't know if reviewers check that thoroughly.   

The more I see this, the more I see a need for an FAQ/Wiki type of environment where players can find restrictions based on their locale.  Having played the game for so long, many of us have inherited knowledge about the rules/guidelines, but new players just don't know where to look except at GC.com, which is too generic for local use.  They need a way for local clubs to have a URL off their FAQ page that someone maintains with a list of local guidelines.

mano_mindfreak66

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 11:31:51 »
The more I see this, the more I see a need for an FAQ/Wiki type of environment where players can find restrictions based on their locale.  Having played the game for so long, many of us have inherited knowledge about the rules/guidelines, but new players just don't know where to look except at GC.com, which is too generic for local use.  They need a way for local clubs to have a URL off their FAQ page that someone maintains with a list of local guidelines.
I agree! As a new player looking to place my first hide, the GC.com page was somewhat helpful with their guidelines, but wasn't enough. This forum has been very helpful with finding information from people in the area. I was lucky that I found out about this forum by doing a Google search, but not everyone does this, so not all new players know about this great source of information.