Author Topic: First time hider, looking for help on receiving permission  (Read 5111 times)

GreyingJay

Re: First time hider, looking for help on receiving permission
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 12:44:44 »
I agree! As a new player looking to place my first hide, the GC.com page was somewhat helpful with their guidelines, but wasn't enough. This forum has been very helpful with finding information from people in the area. I was lucky that I found out about this forum by doing a Google search, but not everyone does this, so not all new players know about this great source of information.

I commend you for trying! It is a sign that you care about the game and respect the other players. Too many people just get excited, run to the dollar store and pick up the cheapest container they can find, throw it in some lame spot and call it a hide. Repeat 2, 3, even a few dozen times. Then they get bored and disappear, and their caches fall into disrepair, eventually get disabled, then archived, by the reviewers. That doesn't make anybody look good.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 18:04:21 »
Well, the description certainly says nothing about CP, in fact it says little at all about where the cache is.  The hint is pretty generic as well.  Only viewing via Google Street view leaves little doubt where the cache is hidden, but I don't know if reviewers check that thoroughly.   

Not to muddy the waters, but I work at Canada Post (as many of you know) and I work with many of the people that are involved in putting out what we in the biz call "street furniture" and I have never heard of any policy on geocaches on mailboxes. Certainly doesn't mean there isn't, I just have never come across it. Many of the single boxes just don't have anywhere to hide anything, so it is often a moot point. Just sayin'

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 19:27:12 »
I was wondering if you'd chime in.  ;D  The "no caches on CP boxes" thing goes as far back as 2003, when our local "celebrity cacher" of the day, "Cliffy" (from Cliffy Tube fame), used to work for CP as well (hence his name, Cliffy, from Cheers, if anyone every watched the show they'd get it). 

Look what I found!:  https://wiki.groundspeak.com/display/GEO/Ontario

To highlight the specific rule:

Canada Post Corporation   Federal Legislation    Placements on Canada Post property (e.g. mailboxes) can be considered mail tampering which is a Federal Offense. Permission from local Postmaster would be required.

F0restGrump

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 06:40:42 »
....yes, you could get waterboarded  :o

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 11:01:55 »
Look what I found!:  https://wiki.groundspeak.com/display/GEO/Ontario

To highlight the specific rule:
Canada Post Corporation   Federal Legislation    Placements on Canada Post property (e.g. mailboxes) can be considered mail tampering which is a Federal Offense. Permission from local Postmaster would be required.

Interesting if not a bit over the top. "Mail tampering"? Well, OK. I'm going to ask my buddy who works for corporate security if he is aware of this, just for fun.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 11:53:01 »
I think Canada Post just doesn't want their 'street furniture' plastered over with flyers and notices, it's easier to say "NO!" to everything.
For most individuals and organizations it's easier to say 'no' rather than spend some time figuring out what is being asked...

My problem is with the question of who to ask. If the property manager is the NCC or this Conservation Area, who do you ask? I sent an inquiry to the general 'contact' address and waited and waited and waited.....

That's the way of the world.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

GreyingJay

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 14:29:18 »
I remember in the early days (2004) wanting to put a cache in a wooded area on Carleton University property. I sent a polite email asking for permission. And waited, and waited, and waited... never heard back. Meanwhile, caches started getting placed anyway, by hiders presuming they don't need permission because it was publicly accessible.

GopherGreg

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 17:28:07 »
When submitting an earthcache, you need permission from who ever owns the land, no matter where it is it seems. I thought Hog's Back falls was public, but my earthcache there is being held back until I can get permission from the owner(s) of Hog's back. Any one have any ideas on who to contact?

And as for not hearing back from people: That happens a lot. I sent an email to Mont - Tremblant, about placing a cache at the summit, and an earthcache on one of the trails, but have not heard back, even though it's been months. I'm not sure weather to email again, or let it go, and archive the listing(s) that are on hold.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 19:55:07 »
I believe that Hogs Back Park is NCC property.

Go download Sandra's presentation she posted on October 16th regarding EarthCaches in the Geocachers of Eastern Ontario Facebook group.
It covers everything you need to know.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 21:25:19 »
Link to Sandra's presentation: https://www.facebook.com/download/562732060459240/EarthCachePresentation.pdf

EDIT:  Looks like it will not let you download it unless you're a member of the Facebook group where it was posted. 
I've grabbed it and placed it here:  http://www.canadascapitalcachers.ca/stuff/EarthCachePresentation.pdf
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 05:39:30 by kirok »

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 00:54:10 »
Link to Sandra's presentation: https://www.facebook.com/download/562732060459240/EarthCachePresentation.pdf

Seems to have been removed; I get this if I try:

Sorry, this page isn't available
The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 07:46:51 »

Odd, the link works for me....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 08:15:33 »

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 08:22:42 »

Odd, the link works for me....

Blue -
I think in order to access it, you have to be a member of the Facebook group it was uploaded to.

GopherGreg

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 16:13:48 »
Thanks guys.