Author Topic: First time hider, looking for help on receiving permission  (Read 4596 times)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Re: First time hider, looking for help on receiving permission
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2013, 20:33:34 »
I found another cache tonight http://coord.info/GLCJPMBX hidden on a mailbox:

It's in Gatineau of course, where almost all 'mailbox' caches I've found have been located.

Blue -
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 20:35:19 by bluelamb03 »
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

The red-haired witch

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 10:31:32 »
Reviewers appreciate being told if a cache is placed where it should not be.  Pictures of the problem are particularly useful.  It is obviously impossible for a reviewer to go check in person how each cache is hidden...

Sadly, some people seem to think that just stating the problem in their find log means that the reviewer will know about it.  A NA log or an e-mail to the reviewer is much better, as reviewers do not read all the find logs on all the caches they've published (shocking, I know  ::) )

GreyingJay

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 11:55:52 »
The problem is I never want to be too quick to say "this is no good" -- and the odd time I DID speak up, I was shot down by the reviewer!

So the guidelines say that X type of hide generally isn't allowed. When I do see X type of hide, should I report it? Or should I assume that, well, generally this isn't allowed, but maybe this hider got special permission? The hider did, after all, check off the box that says "I got permission", and the guidelines do say that past placement is not grounds for precedence, and I assume that works both ways. In other words, I really have no idea what the heck to think.

I thought there were some rules that were supposed to be hard and fast but even then, I'm not sure anymore. Remember not long ago I spoke up about a cache hide that was ON SCHOOL PROPERTY and was told by the reviewer to stop making negative remarks.  >:(

The red-haired witch

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2013, 16:24:43 »
I wouldn't think any reviewer would say that if you sent him an e-mail about a potential issue you saw.  ???  I may not have seen or don't remember the exact comments you refer too (though I think I know what series of caches that was), but I guess it is possible a reviewer would react that way after many logs stating the same problem were posted on a cache.   In the sense that, once the reviewer is told about the issue, it is best to give him some time to deal with the issue, and not pile on the logs... the cache page is not a good place for debating cache rules/guidelines.

As you say, there are some variations in the guidelines.  They change and things get grandfathered in.  Also, most of the guidelines could be appended with "except if you get appropriate permission".  School caches are allowed in some places... but only with written permission from the school principal.

I also think that a cache on a mailbox might be ok with written permission from the postmaster. 

And while buried caches are forbidden, building an underground crypt on your own property for the express purpose of hiding a cache is allowed... so, yes, the guidelines have many exceptions

But if you think there is an issue with the cache, and the reviewer may not know about it, having not visited the cache, then please tell the reviewer.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2013, 21:15:45 »
You also can't hide on Post Canada boxes.

Is that a fairly recent addition to the guidelines?  I don't think I have enough fingers to count all the mailbox caches I have found.

It seems to be inconsistently applied. I know I found one in Barrhaven fairly recently which was exactly this.

Not anymore...just got archived by the reviewer.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2013, 10:59:28 »
Preaching to the choir again...

Most of the regulars to this forum and our workshops are familiar with the guidelines and 'rules' regarding cache placements. It's the noobs, or the few prolific hiders who have no idea (or just don't care) about the implications of their poor, and often illegal, hides.

A gentle email to them, informing them of the situation regarding their cache - along with a link or two to the GC.com guidelines generally will get the problem solved. If not, a NA log will get the attention of the reviewer, who can take proper official steps.

No one likes to be put in the position of being the 'cache police,' but without active intervention by caring cachers our sports will degrade into a morass of poor hides and poorly educated cachers with little regard for the public perception of the game.

1. Email the CO.
2. Hit NA.
3. Post on this forum.
4. Email the reviewer and request a sitrep.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss