Author Topic: GAG20 cache timing question  (Read 2003 times)

brewsterjuice

GAG20 cache timing question
« on: October 25, 2013, 07:52:09 »
I have a spot for an 'Unknown' cache staked out for GAG20. For various reasons I am going to turn it into a traditional in the same location. It appears that when I edit it and convert the type if treats it as a new cache creation instead of just an edit on the type.

Question - from a timing perspective am I too late with reviewers to 'create' a cache for GAG20? My alternative would be to leave it as an 'unknown'. The kind of unknown that is exactly at the posted co-ordinates. A 'known unknown' to quote Donald Rumsfeld.

thanks

GreyingJay

Re: GAG20 cache timing question
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 09:30:22 »
Why not leave a reviewer note and ask them to change it for you, that way they are guaranteed to see it if it was already approved for publication.

I just had an idea for a GAG20 cache yesterday but I won't be able to place it until early next week because I'm away up helping at camp this weekend... I don't know if I'll make the cut either. It's probable, but mine would be last in the queue and if there are any proximity issues...

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 09:48:46 »
There are usually some caches that get submitted later and may not get published when the bulk of the caches get published (probably the evening on the 29th).
The earlier you get them in the better.

That's interesting that if you change the type of cache, it considers it to be a new cache submission.

I considered converting my "bonus" unknown GAG20 cache into a traditional, but in the end I decided to leave it as an unknown since it's already been reviewed, approved, and placed in the publication queue.

EDIT: I had sent a note to the reviewer last night asking about the possibility of changing my bonus unknown to a traditional.
To paraphrase his response "if it's already been reviewed and approved, I'd prefer it to be left the way it is".
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 11:48:18 by BlackRose67 »

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 13:38:23 »
My alternative would be to leave it as an 'unknown'. The kind of unknown that is exactly at the posted co-ordinates.

Those do exist: challenge caches.  You could make it an easy challenge (if you want) by stating that, in order to log the cache, you must have found at least one other GAG20 cache the same day.

GreyingJay

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 14:42:29 »
There are also legitimate puzzle caches that are at the posted coordinates. They are typically of the form "The cache container/guardian is here. Now, how are you going to get to the logbook? That is the real puzzle." Perhaps there is a lock, or the logbook is hidden or obscured somehow.

Those are fun  ;D

brewsterjuice

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 17:02:48 »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I went for the option of leaving it as an unknown and making it a really simple challenge - just log my other GAG20 cache close by first . Which works since part of the point of having another one close by was to try and make it worth your while to go to that area on GAG day.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 08:24:20 »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I went for the option of leaving it as an unknown and making it a really simple challenge - just log my other GAG20 cache close by first . Which works since part of the point of having another one close by was to try and make it worth your while to go to that area on GAG day.

Thanks, I appreciate your efforts.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

The red-haired witch

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 10:22:21 »

I don't that is gonna work.  You may want to check the Challenge caches rules again.  The challenge cannot be to find a specific cache, and cannot be to find one of your caches (can't use a challenge to "promote" your own caches). Find "another GAG20 cache" would probably be ok, as finding one cache in a list of several dozens is usually ok. 

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 11:30:00 »

I don't that is gonna work.  You may want to check the Challenge caches rules again.  The challenge cannot be to find a specific cache, and cannot be to find one of your caches (can't use a challenge to "promote" your own caches). Find "another GAG20 cache" would probably be ok, as finding one cache in a list of several dozens is usually ok.  
Here's what I did, and it was approved.

I have two unknown caches.  One is a puzzle with an additional field puzzle component, the other is a bonus cache.

In order to get the second unknown cache (bonus), you have to solve and find the first unknown/puzzle.

The red-haired witch

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 16:10:33 »

I don't that is gonna work.  You may want to check the Challenge caches rules again.  The challenge cannot be to find a specific cache, and cannot be to find one of your caches (can't use a challenge to "promote" your own caches). Find "another GAG20 cache" would probably be ok, as finding one cache in a list of several dozens is usually ok. 
Here's what I did, and it was approved.

I have two unknown caches.  One is a puzzle with an additional field puzzle component, the other is a bonus cache.

In order to get the second unknown cache (bonus), you have to solve and find the first unknown/puzzle.

Yes, bonus caches are allowed (putting coordinates of cache B in cache A).  But a challenge cache of finding cache A to be allowed to log cache B as found is not allowed.