Author Topic: "Proud to be Canadian, Eh?" and "Return To Sender" - is anyone even trying?  (Read 5891 times)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
It's been over a month since the publication of GopherGreg's two puzzles, "Proud to be Canadian, Eh?" http://coord.info/GC4NYKR and "Return To Sender" http://coord.info/GC4NABF and no finders yet!?

I think we're being "cron'd"!

I'll admit that after a quick look at them I put them both aside, not my cup of tea (and I've been busy lately finding caches, not solving them), but I'm surprised there hasn't been any finds at all since publication. I'm only presuming cron is playing his little game of baiting the STF of course, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Is anyone working on these caches? Anyone?

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
Looked at them very briefly. No time for them either...

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
I looked at Proud to be Canadian, Eh? and got the first part decoded, but that's as far as I've taken it.

Right now I'm on a bit of a numbers run, so if a puzzle takes a lot of time to figure out, it goes on the back burner.

F0restGrump

....work...hockey....cadets....hunting....halloween....yardwork....getting my 1000th...cleaning basement...

Too busy with too many other things!  :o  :(  ::)

GopherGreg

I know a geocacher called catmousses has almost solved Return to Sender, and the Fossils have almost solved Canadian, eh.

I've heard of the Fossils, but never of catmousses! If you look on their profile they've cache in Africa, Asian, Europe, Australia& New Zeland, and have four caches, one in Quebec, and some in Thailand. But not as many finds as I'd think: just over 500. Seems like their all over the place.

I made a change in the return to sender puzzle. If someone had a hard copy of the puzzle (Printed out or sumthin') compare it too the image on the cache page. It's different, and that will give away the puzzle.

Greg

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
I'm not sure it "gives it away", but it does focus my attention. Have you checked the logs to see if anyone has found it?

GopherGreg

I'm not sure it "gives it away", but it does focus my attention. Have you checked the logs to see if anyone has found it?

Email me. Don't really think about WHAT has changed, think about HOW it has changed.

valspad

• Full Time Cacher
I too have the first part of Canadian, Eh figured out, but I can't seem to figure out what to do with what I have either.

GreyingJay

I think that is where we are all stuck.

The cache owner has indicated that he wants to keep it difficult, which is certainly his right.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
The cache owner has indicated that he wants to keep it difficult, which is certainly his right.

Yes it is, but (and I know this is an old complaint) what's the point of a geocache that nobody finds, and few even try to solve?

To each his own....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
It's perplexing....my only solution is in the middle of the street, near his home.

GopherGreg

It's perplexing....my only solution is in the middle of the street, near his home.

I've started giving out more hints for those caches since no one has found them, so if you want me to check your coordinates and tell you how close they are, then email me and I will.

And yes, I want to keep them hard, but I do want people to find them. It just seems lots of people don't want to work on something that's too hard, even though they want to find the high difficulty/terrain combos... If I give hints which makes it a lot easier, well, then the D/T should be lowered. However, one of the only things people seem to hate more than a cache that's "too hard" is a unique combo that has been changed.
http://canadascapitalcachers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=1409.0

I don't want my caches to remain unfound, but most of the reason people take interest in these types of caches is because of the unusual D/T, and I would like those to remain the same. Obviously, there are some pretty easy D5's out there, like the somewhat-recent one by freezingsckruckles (First cache hard!!!), but there are some harder ones like this one.

That being said I know two people who are on the right track for solving Canadian, eh? and one person who only has to solve the crypto for Return to Sender (Which is a lot further than most people are...).

Both will be found soon, I'm sure about it.

Interesting... My major turn off on these caches is exactly that: you are more than willing to share a lot privately, making the puzzle easier for whoever contacts you.

If that's the only way to make them findable, then good for those who are willing to take this route. I prefer when hints are posted for everyone to see and use.

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
I gave up on "Return to sender" because I don't believe part of the difficulty of a puzzle should be based on a person's physical characteristics like the quality of their eyesight: that font is thoroughly unreadable.

I gave up on "Proud to be Canadian" because I don't know what to do with the decoded text; there are a gazillion ways to get numbers out of that and I'm not willing to travel half a light year to try to find a cache that may not even be there: that cache page needs a geocheck!

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher

I've started giving out more hints for those caches since no one has found them, so if you want me to check your coordinates and tell you how close they are, then email me and I will.
Why not just add a checker to the cache page so people can determine if they got it right?  A lot less hassle and people know right away if they got it or not.

If I have the time later today, I'm going to go and check a spot that seems like a possible location, something you talked about in another thread is nearby, and it fits perfectly between two proximity circles of other caches I've found in that area.