Author Topic: Iphone: Geosphere or Geocaching Navigation?  (Read 5961 times)

3-Bearss

Iphone: Geosphere or Geocaching Navigation?
« on: September 19, 2010, 07:38:00 »
With the iPhone 4 now in my pocket  8) I have downloaded a few apps.
I started with Geosphere and being a NOOB with the iPhone (no Ipod Touch either) I was a tad clumbsy using the app. So I decided to try Geocaching Navigation as well.
I found the Geocaching Navigation simpler to use, but it looks like Geosphere has more Bells and Whistles.
What works for you?

lacwitt

Re: Iphone: Geosphere or Geocaching Navigation?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 12:52:17 »
I use geosphere in the field on my ipod touch and It has helped me more times than I can count.  It's nice to have the cache page at hand when you need it.

graciious

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 16:55:46 »
I am considering downloading one of the apps available for Geocaching on the IPOD Touch.  It is important to note that I don't have the Iphone.  Does anyone know if the Geocaching application (by groundspeak) allows you to download GPX files or would I be better off with Geosphere?

lacwitt

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 18:22:10 »
I am considering downloading one of the apps available for Geocaching on the IPOD Touch.  It is important to note that I don't have the Iphone.  Does anyone know if the Geocaching application (by groundspeak) allows you to download GPX files or would I be better off with Geosphere?

go with geosphere.  I've used both, and besides costing less, I find geosphere easier to use, and it has more features, like being able to load corrected co-ordinates, etc.

Tanglebones

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 20:20:42 »
I'd agree with using Geosphere over the native iPhone Geocaching app from Groundspeak.  I don't know what it is about the Groundspeak team of programmers, but it is almost guaranteed that some existing feature will be broken whenever they do an update.  It's almost like they don't actually use their own app for real, in-the-field geocaching.

I use the iPhone 4 for geocaching exclusively now, and Geosphere is my app of choice.  There are just so many handy features.  I haven't tried it with the iPod Touch, but if you want to use that for geocaching I'd suggest you check out this.  Unfortunately, it is not yet available for the iPhone 4, but the day it comes out...

http://www.magellangps.com/toughcase/

- TB

graciious

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 21:36:41 »
Thanks, I will go with Geosphere.  I won't be using the device for any caching besides looking up cache pages on the road.  I have the 62 with paperless but when I want to read something on a cache page it will be much easier to use the ipod touch.

TB, I didn't spend much time looking but I don't think the tough case you mentioned is available for my ipod touch either, I have the newest edition with the camera.  Even still the case would only be useful when I had a wifi connection.  When I get my iphone in October 2011 it will be something to think about. 

lacwitt

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 07:12:40 »
I bought a hard shell case at walmart that fit my ipod.  It is just a generic case and isn't made specifically for the ipod, but it keeps it safe.  I think I payed between 5 an 10 $ for it.  It looks sorta like this

3-Bearss

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 18:00:55 »
I have both Groundspeak iPhone app and Geosphere.
I prefer Groundspeaks.

1. Both will load multiple GPX files
2. Both can create logs in the field
3. Groundspeak App sends and logs the caches on GC.com either in the field or when you get WiFi connection.
4. Geosphere lets you create 'canned' log phrases, but you can do this on the Groundspeak app with copy and paste from the clipboard.
5. Geosphere requires you to upload logs as Field Notes then submit each one on GC.com individually (third party software) similar to the Oregons etc.
6. Snap a picture with iPhone, include it in your log upload.
7. dropping a TB or geocoin, it is part of the upload (only if you remember to do it)  :o

In the end it's personal choice, I chose both and use the Groundspeak app.

Tanglebones

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 22:24:53 »
I have both Groundspeak iPhone app and Geosphere.
I prefer Groundspeaks.

1. Both will load multiple GPX files
2. Both can create logs in the field
3. Groundspeak App sends and logs the caches on GC.com either in the field or when you get WiFi connection.
4. Geosphere lets you create 'canned' log phrases, but you can do this on the Groundspeak app with copy and paste from the clipboard.
5. Geosphere requires you to upload logs as Field Notes then submit each one on GC.com individually (third party software) similar to the Oregons etc.
6. Snap a picture with iPhone, include it in your log upload.
7. dropping a TB or geocoin, it is part of the upload (only if you remember to do it)  :o

In the end it's personal choice, I chose both and use the Groundspeak app.

Not that I wish to get in a 'urinating contest' over iPhone apps, but... :-)

1. Like the GC app, Geosphere downloads them directly from GC.com.  Unlike the GC app, they can be filtered multiple ways and put into multiple groups.  In fact, I've even started drifting away from GSAK as I can use Geosphere to record all my finds, all the corrected coordinates, etc.

2. Agree

3. I actually don't view this as much of a plus.  While it may be cool to upload a log directly from the field, I don't see it as practical that I would create a log while in the middle of a multiple cache run.  My preference is for field notes, however I should also point out that you can post full logs directly from within Geosphere too - though it does take more steps.

4. Geosphere does more than let you create canned phrases - you can create long or short field notes as you prefer.  I also like using the canned ones and find them very helpful.  Unlike the GC app, Geosphere will keep track of your total number of finds and can automatically add an increment line of your choosing to each field note. (i.e. - "Find #785 - WOO HOO!".  It can also date/time stamp them, helpful when trying to recall what order you found things.  Or you can turn all of those off.

5. Agreed, again I don't see this as a negative - I like taking my time with the actual logs and view that as an 'at home' thing.  Again, though, nothing stopping a person from logging right into GC.com through Geosphere and taking an extra 30 seconds to log that field note.

6.   I was so disappointed with GC.com when they finally implemented photos.  For example, using that app, if you take a photo and want to use it, it automatically uploads it as a posted log.  You can't select any other option (i.e. - post as a field note or just leave it associated with a specific waypoint without uploading it).  Also, you can't create personal notes for a cache - the only note it will let you do is  a field note, and you can't exit from that section without uploading or canceling.  Geosphere, on the other hand, handles multiple pictures and multiple notes.  You can take a photo of each tag in a multi, if you wish, and create multiple notes and waypoints for each cache.  You choose which notes to upload to GC.com and which to keep for your own records.

One down side to Geosphere is that the data is only as current as your last PQ, whereas the GC.com app has live data.  Geosphere isn't perfect and has flaws, but I swear the GC.com app must be written by people that don't actually use it for their day to day caching.  Little features that would be so easy to implement get left out release after release, and features that people like and use disappear without a trace.

Speaking of which, one feature that Geosphere has (and GC app used to have) is the ability to drive through the city and have a rolling map on the screen.  Wherever we drive, we see all the caches around us in real time on the map.  Our position stays in the centre of the iPhone screen and the streets (and caches) scroll as we move.  Very handy. 

Sorry - I'll get off my soap box now.  :-)

- TB

3-Bearss

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 07:28:40 »
 :) All excellent observations Tanglebones ... I shall have to dig deeper into the Geosphere workings.

Though I can't see me giving up my GSAK anytime soon  ::)

Pibelle

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 09:37:12 »
Speaking of which, one feature that Geosphere has (and GC app used to have) is the ability to drive through the city and have a rolling map on the screen.  Wherever we drive, we see all the caches around us in real time on the map.  Our position stays in the centre of the iPhone screen and the streets (and caches) scroll as we move.  Very handy. 

The Geocaching.com app does this as well using either "Find Nearby Geocaches" (live data) or a Saved Pocket Query.

After clicking "Find Nearby Geocaches" on the search tab, click the "View Map" button in the upper right corner.

The same thing applies to the Saved PQs, just click on "Map" after loading.  I agree, pretty handy feature.

hunter_ca

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 13:45:22 »
OT from IPhone but has anyone tried with android software ( ie Sony Ericsson x10) and programs with this
Rob

dcmg

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 09:41:33 »
I've just bought geosphere for my iphone (and my wife's so she can be checking hints/logs/pics while I'm searching under logs/rocks/trees). I wanted to find a gsak macro and an easy way to trasfer the files so I found:

Export_nn_GPX.gsk

and

www.dropbox.com

--dcmg

lacwitt

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 14:20:43 »
Geosphere is easier that that to load cache pages.  You download them directly from gc.com.  Then to add corrected co-ordinates, just export your cc's into a .gpx file, and email it to yourself.  I download 5 pq's in about 5 minutes, then do a cc update every couple of weeks, all from my ipod.  No gsak required.

As for the mapping aspect, that only works on the iphone.  On the ipod, geosphere is basically only for paperless caching.