Author Topic: November Workshop cancelled, but December.....  (Read 1411 times)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
November Workshop cancelled, but December.....
« on: November 06, 2013, 11:38:39 »
You may have noticed that there's been no CCC Geocaching Workshop published on the second Thursday of this month.

There seems to be more than enough events this month already, so one more seemed excessive, an event every week of the month!

We are also considering cutting back on these workshops; instead of one per month perhaps just 3 or 4 per year....
Although these were designed with newbies in mind it seems that there's the same familiar faces at every event, so fewer workshops but with more structured presentations might be more attractive.

There will be one published for December, "An Introduction to Winter Caching", where we will discuss gear, clothing and safety in the cold and snow.

Cheers,

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

GreyingJay

Re: November Workshop cancelled, but December.....
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 11:44:01 »
Quality, not quantity! I do appreciate that these workshops are a nice place to meet new people who are new to the game. I have heard from new cachers who attended our monthly meet-and-eats and found them a little intimidating (noisy, crowded), even a little clique-y since we tend to sit with our friends and there is no real opportunity for group introductions.

The CCC/Camp Cherith (CCCCC?) projector is always at the ready if people want to present their photos, PowerPoint, etc. for workshop topics. Just let me know in advance. Bring your own computer (with VGA port).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 13:43:47 by GreyingJay »

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 13:02:18 »
One every quarter (or maybe every other month?) might be a good idea, but make them 1.5 to 2 hour workshops since more information would be covered.

brewsterjuice

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 12:30:15 »
The website front page still lists tomorrow (Nov 14th) as a workshop event? It might fool someone who didn't look into the forums to discover its not happening.

bugbitten

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 10:41:29 »
You may have noticed that there's been no CCC Geocaching Workshop published on the second Thursday of this month.

There seems to be more than enough events this month already, so one more seemed excessive, an event every week of the month!

We are also considering cutting back on these workshops; instead of one per month perhaps just 3 or 4 per year....
Although these were designed with newbies in mind it seems that there's the same familiar faces at every event, so fewer workshops but with more structured presentations might be more attractive.

There will be one published for December, "An Introduction to Winter Caching", where we will discuss gear, clothing and safety in the cold and snow.

Cheers,

Blue -

bugbitten

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 10:43:19 »
Good thing for me that I checked this forum because I was heading to my first workshop tonight. Now I know it isn't happening... hope to be there in December.

GreyingJay

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 11:15:52 »
I'll let you in on a secret about that front page... it is not actually directly tied to the Geocaching site or any queries or anything like that. It just presents the events on a calendar as if they were monthly recurring events (every last Tuesday of the month, etc.) That's why it does not always get updated when the regular events get cancelled or moved, and why non-regular events (such as the flashmob events) don't show up by default. A human has to log in every once in a while and keep it updated.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Glad you saw the thread in time, and hope to see you at an event in December!