Author Topic: Puzzle Caches - What kind of container?  (Read 1025 times)

leaf720

Puzzle Caches - What kind of container?
« on: November 28, 2013, 21:33:38 »
When you solve a puzzle cache, do you prefer to find something other than a micro only containing a log? Especially when the puzzle is hard(er) to solve, do you think the cache should live up to the puzzle? I would imagine so, because it doesn't seem very worth it to go through lots of trouble solving a tricky puzzle just to find a micro. Personally I don't mind too much what the final cache is. I was considering putting a puzzle cache out sometime soon and although I could make it a micro, I don't really think it would do the puzzle any justice. Thoughts?

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
Re: Puzzle Caches - What kind of container?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 21:57:15 »
Personally, the size of the final container is irrelevant.  My biggest beef with difficult puzzle caches is when you spend a lot of time solving them, and then you have to waste FAR too much time at GZ looking for it as well.  If it's a micro, hide it well enough, but in an obvious to a geocacher spot.   I should be able to be rewarded shortly after arriving at GZ, and not spend an hour in the dark searching in vain.

Of course, I still prefer the nice long walks in the woods with a decent container at the end, but that is getting tougher to place with the saturation these days.

Lastly, ensure you have someone BETA test your puzzle and hide before publication.  Please!  Nothing worse than solving a D5 only to have to return in the dark for 4 visits to search for a tiny micro in a cluster of giant pine trees, only to find out the final was 14 meters off.   ::)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 22:35:27 by kirok »

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 22:13:52 »
My experience has been that puzzle creators often fall into one of two categories.

The first group put all their effort into the puzzle, and the actual cache is an afterthought, the 35 mm film can tossed into the shrubbery somewhere. Often it's a very clever puzzle, but a very disappointing hide. These people are all about the puzzle, and the cache container is there only because the rules of geocaching require a logbook in order to have their clever puzzle published. This is the norm I'm afraid, the 'lazy micro' cache -  (http://canadascapitalcachers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=1365.0)

The second group understand that puzzles appeal to a small minority of geocachers so they consciously place their caches away from the spots that would be most suitable for the traditional and multi caches that the majority enjoy. A nice hike for the traditional on a great trail is its own reward; the puzzle final in a roadside ditch may not get as much traffic but you've solved it....

I would prefer that all caches bring me to a nice spot, a great hike, a lovely view. Puzzle or traditional, multi or virtual, if the only reason I'm here is for the find then it's not a very good spot for a cache in my opinion. As for the cache size, it should fit into the hide location. A large ammo can is a great cache to find, and a very hard one to hide....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

F0restGrump

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 07:46:09 »

I would prefer that all caches bring me to a nice spot, a great hike, a lovely view. Puzzle or traditional, multi or virtual, if the only reason I'm here is for the find then it's not a very good spot for a cache in my opinion. As for the cache size, it should fit into the hide location. A large ammo can is a great cache to find, and a very hard one to hide....

Blue -

Yes, for the most part, trying to find a micro in the middle of a vast forest, when your GPSr is bouncing all over the place, is never particularly pleasant. That said, it is much more comfortable to search, high and low, for a nasty little micro in the back woods rather than in downtown Ottawa!! In that case, at least add a hint that helps focus the search. And that said, a D4 hide is a D4 hide...hehe.

Later, FG