Author Topic: Generating 3D land model from topo map?  (Read 1538 times)

GreyingJay

Generating 3D land model from topo map?
« on: January 21, 2014, 11:25:41 »
So as many of you know, I volunteer with a summer camp that operates out of a property in Lanark County (not far from Perth).

We are wondering if it would be possible to have a 3D rendering of our property generated somehow – probably from topo maps and property survey information. Such a model would be  useful for site planning, visualization, fundraising (get a sense of where our new dining hall could go, and what it could look like, etc.)

I’m sure it can be done, I’m just not sure where to start. Anyone out there have connections?

Starkiller

Re: Generating 3D land model from topo map?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 11:36:19 »
Unfortunately it is unlikely detailed elevation data even exists for that area, at least not any that tells you anything you wouldn't already know.

I haven't heard of anything except provincial data, which is on the old side and the cell size is 20mx20m so very coarse. Good luck though!

GreyingJay

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 13:19:58 »
Yeah, if we can figure out how to get started, it will probably take some tweaking and real-world measurement. I wonder if I was even to walk around with a GPS and start logging coordinates and elevations...

Hmmm...

The area we would want to model is not huge thankfully.

GreyingJay

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 13:23:05 »
Making a note to self. Gonna check this out:

http://www.dgadv.com/dgtv/

The red-haired witch

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 16:02:32 »
Normal topo maps can be changed into a model I'm sure, I've seen it done, but they would only give you a general idea like where mountains are.  Not all that useful for a small area and for precise work like placing buildings.

The most accurate maps I've seen are those created for orienteering races. 

Traditionally started from aerial pictures and topo maps, and refined by walking everywhere on the property to draw more precise contour lines, mark boulders, vegetation and other features.

But now they can sometimes use a faster process using LIDAR data, which can measure elevation with a crazy resolution (something like a data point for every square meter), so that less manual input is needed.

You could contact the Ottawa Orienteering Club and see if any of their mappers would be interested/have time (might depend if they've finished the maps for the North-American championships next Fall). 

GreyingJay

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 11:56:43 »
Thanks RHW!

Existing topo data might be pretty scarce for that area of Ontario, especially since it's private property. I don't mind generating data by hiking around the site wearing a GPS. I could similarly mark all the locations of buildings.

Will keep digging...

The red-haired witch

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 18:04:41 »
I don't know if it's still the case, but in the past some of the trained mappers in the Ottawa orienteering club were university students (so you could hire them for a very reasonable price  ;) )

Also, the best way to "bribe" an orienteering club into mapping your terrain for free could be to give them access to it one or two days a year for races.  Some local property owners even got trails created for free (gave access to a large piece of land that had no trails... but you need trails for the novice category, so the club made trails)  8)

F0restGrump

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 12:22:21 »
These guys might know....

http://www.worldofmaps.com/

Cheers, FG