Author Topic: Which would you suggest?  (Read 1149 times)

magillmjl

• Baby Cacher
Which would you suggest?
« on: February 21, 2014, 10:49:48 »
Hi everyone,

I work with a local cadet squadron and I've been chatting with a colleague for a little bit about taking the cadets geocaching.  Part of the training actually encompasses "navigate to a waypoint using a GPS", so why not take them geocaching?

I was just approached telling me we have budget money that is going to be spent on GPS units.  I was given a list of 6 units to choose from and they are going to order what I think would be best for our needs. I've come to a decision that I think is a fair balance, but I wanted to get some more experienced thoughts. 

The price isn't a major concern just things like ease of use, out of box usability and that sort of thing.  The units are:

Magellan Explorist 310
Magellan Explorist 110
Magellan Explorist GC
Garmin eTrex 20
Garmin GPSMaps 78S
Garmin Dakota 10

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
Re: Which would you suggest?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 11:53:05 »
You're likely to get a lot of different opinions, but for the most part, the CCC is a Garmin loving bunch.  Of the 3 Garmin's on the list, the 78S is the beter unit.  Waterproof, floats, and has Garmin's ease -of-use and better community support.

Let the opinions roll in.  ;D

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 16:25:41 »
Can't speak to the Magellan units, never used them, but they have some useful features, including out-of-the-box useful maps I believe.
The GARMIN units have more local adherents, and there are lots of maps available, including free topographic maps. They also have lots of user set preferences, for example to display in mils and meters, different datums and co-ordinates systems (MGRS for your army cadets). The eTrex and Dakota have nice form, small and light, but the larger MAP78 does float....

Good luck,

Blue-

Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 23:45:43 »
I have an eTrex 20 and used it for almost 2 years before upgrading to a GPSMAP 62s as my main unit.

The eTrex 20 is a good unit, small and lightweight, easy to carry, easy on batteries, and very accurate with GLONASS enabled (probably helps to offset the small antenna inside).
You maneuver through the menus via buttons on the side and the joystick on the top.

As with all Garmin units, the basemap is pretty much useless, so it would be a good idea to load a proper map on the unit. 
I have the Open Streetmap Map (OSM) for the region on a microSD card in both of my GPS units.

Due to it's low powered CPU, it's advisable to put geocaches on a microSD card (easier to resolve GPX indexing issues should they crop up in the field).

F0restGrump

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 13:34:15 »
I have a 310 and it work great...it's easy to use, etc.  Even though there is a base map loaded, a free topo map site for magellan is at http://www.magicmaps.ca/