Author Topic: March 15 or 16 - The Headless Chicken  (Read 1701 times)

imercator

March 15 or 16 - The Headless Chicken
« on: March 08, 2014, 09:00:49 »
Good Day Everyone,

I'm slowly recovering from a long Geocaching sabbatical and I thought it may be a good idea to start off this year with something a little challenging.

Depending on the consensus I'm looking at either the Saturday or Sunday, March 15 or 16 to have a look for Speleodude's "The Headless Chicken". The cache has been out for almost exactly 7 years and has only been found 25 times and as recently as last September.

http://coord.info/GC11M0V

It's in a beautiful part of Gatineau Park not too far from the intersection of Notch and Mine Roads. The weather is also starting to get a little more temperate and the trekking should be moderate with the snow cover that we have now. Snow shoes definitely required. Pretty sure it wont be raining anyway. Pack a thermos of your favorite beverage and it'll be fine day.

I know of one other interested cacher so far but this tag hunt will need a few more sets of eyes. Our success will be more likely with a lots of eyes looking.

Anyone up for a nice hike?

Cheers,

imercator

marvin_gardens

• Full Time Cacher
Re: March 15 or 16 - The Headless Chicken
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 08:37:47 »
Have you received any interest in this?  If not, or a date has not been set, I'd be interested in going Sunday morning.

Aleutian Islanders

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 21:12:26 »
Sunday morning would be good for me, but I would have to depart by 2:30.

imercator

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:32:14 »
So far three interested parties. Four with myself.
I like Sunday and that seems to be the consus. If we leave early getting
done by 2:30 should be doable although we all know how these things
go sometimes.

I plan at being at the meeting tonight and I'll bring the topic up there as well.

Cheers

imercator

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 20:43:17 »
Well it seems like 9:00 Sunday morning is the preferred start time for the cache hunt. There are at present four sets of eyes willing to accept the tag hunt challenge. If any one else is interested I'll scout out likely parking/rendezvous spots on Saturday morning and post coordinates here.

The Weather Network is predicting mostly sunny skies for Sunday with a high of -8. Perhaps the stainless steel tag screws will glint in the sun. I think we may need all the help we can get.

Cheers

imercator

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 07:51:38 »
Good Morning,

There is a slight change in plans for tomorrow in that it's been requested that we met at 9:30. Otherwise all systems go.

I drove up yesterday to scout out possible approaches and here are my findings.
Firstly there are not many places to park as there is not enough room on Mine Rd so we will have to keep to side roads and there are only two roads close by.

If we park on Mike Rd. (45 28.903, 75 48.095) we can hike in on the little valley across the street or walk to (45 28.903, 75 48.225) and hike up that valley. I fear the second valley may be on private property as there is a house close by.
Second parking location is on rue Marie Burger (45 28.700, 75 47.637). We could access the cache by hiking up trail 5 then turning off onto trail 25. This is a much longer walk.

My suggestion is to park on Mike and hike in across the street but all suggestions are welcome.

Cheers