Author Topic: Caches around the airport  (Read 1867 times)

brewsterjuice

Caches around the airport
« on: April 01, 2014, 19:54:43 »
There was a discussion 2-3 years ago about caches around the airport. This last weekend when doing some maintenance on a cache of mine just south of Leitrim on the southern boundary of the airport I spotted a brand new No Trespassing sign at the logical location to park for my cache. I contacted the airport authority and our conversation on the topic follows. I have archived my cache and will point out this thread to the several other CO's whose caches appear to be in violation. They can make their own decisions. I have a detailed pdf map of the land the airport claims but its too large to attach. I can email it to anyone who wants it.

Sent: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 9:34 AM
To: Bruce Burwell
Subject: RE: Question about No Trespassing sign

Bruce, please find attached a map of our entire property boundary. As you can see, not all of the land between Bowesville and Limebank is ours, but there is a mix of governmental and private property all around the airport’s land and there’s a good chance that those landowners would not be receptive to these activities either.

I do appreciate you informing your fellow enthusiasts about this. We never like to say “no” to members of the community but we’ve thought about this carefully before establishing our policy.

Thanks

Coleman

Sent: April-01-14 7:03 AM
To: Swartz, Coleman

Coleman – Thanks very much  for the prompt reply. Can you point me to a map of what the exact extent of your property is? Without a fence and/or extensive signage its difficult to tell otherwise. If you can do that I can inform the local geocachers of it and ask them to remove their caches. In the area just south of Leitrim between Bowesville and Limebank there are currently at least 12 caches.

Regards
Bruce

Sent: Monday, March 31, 2014 5:35 PM
To: Bruce Burwell

Dear Mr. Burwell

The Airport Authority has significant land holdings south of the current runway area that are set aside for future runways or other airport operations. We maintain a policy of no public access to these lands for two main reasons- firstly, the lands are not properly maintained for public use, and we do not want to have the risk of anyone getting injured on our property. Secondly, activity in this area could cause security concerns and cause the deployment of resources that should be allocated elsewhere.

We have installed No Trespassing signs at a number of specific locations that we know to be commonly used entry points into our land. Notwithstanding the specific placement of these signs or the lack of fencing, there is no trespassing or public access permitted on any of our land. Further, parking is not permitted along Leitrim or Bowesville roads and both our security staff and Ottawa Police Services patrol these areas frequently and may issue tickets to parked vehicles.

Sincerely

Coleman

Coleman Swartz
Director, Commercial Development
Ottawa International Airport Authority
Directeur, Expansion Commerciale
Administration de l'aéroport international d'Ottawa

Sent: March-31-14 1:48 PM
To: Swartz, Coleman
Subject: Question about No Trespassing sign

Hi Coleman -  I got directed to you from someone in your office when I called today. I have a question about a No Trespassing sign which I saw recently on a gate at the south west corner of the airport, on Leitrim road. The sign seems to have been put there recently. What area does it apply to? Why are you trying to keep people out? There don't appear to be other No Trespassing signs along the land on the southern boundary of the airport on Leitrim? And there are no fences along Leitrim on the south side.

The reason I am asking is that there are a fair number of geocaches in the fields to the south of the airport and the cache owners (of which I am one) are assuming that people can park on the shoulder of Leitrim and access those fields?

Any clarification would be apprectiated.

thanks
Bruce Burwell
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 20:13:45 by brewsterjuice »

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
Re: Caches around the airport
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 11:16:27 »
I came across a similar situation last year when I went back for a second attempt at Lilies of the Forest.

I wonder if there are new signs up at the end of High Road as well.