Author Topic: Field projections on Android  (Read 7201 times)

sasharambles

Field projections on Android
« on: May 07, 2014, 11:30:30 »
Hey all,

I was out caching yesterday afternoon, and belatedly remembered that my new phone didn't have an app on it for doing projections (yet). So I downloaded one. The results were... questionable, but I decided to trust them. Silly me. After tromping around in the woods for a while, I had to give up and go back to work (stupid job, getting in the way of caching :).

So anyways, I compared the results to FizzyCalc, and they were WAY off. Like, the right distance (~100m), but off by 28 degrees! Something I should have picked up on in the field quite frankly, but anyways. I rechecked several times, figuring it must have been a keying error, but I couldn't find one.

So my question - is there an at least somewhat reliable Android app out there for doing projections?

Thanks,

Sasha

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
Re: Field projections on Android
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 15:55:33 »
In addition to the paid smartphone caching app that I use (CacheSense), I also have GCC (Geocaching Calculator) installed on my phone.

GCC is free and can do projections, intersects, etc.  I've used it successfully in the past to locate one of the east end Binthair caches.

sasharambles

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 08:28:15 »
Thank you! Will give those a try.

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 09:45:55 »
The other thing to remember when doing projections is the North setting (True North vs Magnetic North).  There is such a setting on all GPS units; I assume there must be one in the various apps as well.  Most geocaching projections use True North but I have seen one or two exceptions.  Having the wrong setting will put you off by 14 or 15 degrees.