Author Topic: GSAK to find caches that are close to a list of points  (Read 2349 times)

sasharambles

I'm new to GSAK, but it seems capable of so much I'm wondering if I could get it to do this:

I was trying to create a PQ of caches within X metres of a Metro station (any Metro station) in Montreal. I tried initially creating routes that (more or less) follow the Metro lines, but not only was this tedious & inaccurate, I ran into what appears to be a limitation on the number of intermediate points that you can add to a route.

What I'm picturing is being able to enter the coordinates of the Metro stations, and then create a filter(?) that includes only caches that are within easy walking distance of any of those points. Actually thinking of doing something similar for the Transitway in Ottawa, given how much fun we had today riding the bus to collect clues for GAG 8 TRANSITART (http://coord.info/GCV7KV).

Is this something I could do with GSAK?

TIA!

Sasha

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
Re: GSAK to find caches that are close to a list of points
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 12:04:12 »
Yes, you can, but it's a bit complicated.

Under the Tools menu, you'll see "Polygon / Line Drawing Tool".   A map will open up, and with it you can draw a polygon around an area on the map to create GPS coordinate boundaries around a specific area.   Once you have your Polygon created, you'll see it on the right.  Assuming your GSAK database is fully populated with caches from the target area, you can then use this polygon in a custom Search filter to limit the caches to only the ones that are within your boundary.

It does work with Multiple polygons as well, but you have to concatenate them manually.  In you example of the transit stations, you would draw a polygon around the first one, then copy and paste that somewhere.  Then draw the next one and copy / paste that after the first one.  Once you have all the polygons you want, then paste the whole thing into your search filter in GSAK.

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 14:13:12 »
Just wondering: is your goal to make sure you have everything close to transit, or is it to *only* have caches close to transit?

A simple pocket query can return up to 1000 caches. In the Ottawa area, that can give you just about all the city caches on the Ontario side in a single pocket query (filtering out puzzle caches, Needs Maintenance, inactive caches...).
This will give you all the caches close to transit as well as all the caches far from transit.

I am sure that you can get a good chunk of all the Montreal caches with a single pocket query as well.

If that is good enough for your purposes, it is a lot simpler than playing with polygons to capture each transit station.

cd.cuts

sasharambles

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 17:13:50 »
Thanks guys!

cd.cuts: specifically interested in only caches that are close to transit. So for example, when I go to Montreal I like to dump the car somewhere and go everywhere by Metro, so I'm looking for caches close to stations (how far depends on whether I'm alone or with kids in tow).

Kirok: TY. While looking into the polygons I discovered that in the search page, on the tab where (I think) you can apply the polygons, you can also select a radio box for "points". Still need to experiment, but looks like it's exactly what I need. With any (a lot?) of luck I'll be able to find a list of coords for stations.... if I don't, I'll create one. And then maybe try to find a way to share it.

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 18:08:47 »
What I meant was: why are you working so hard to NOT have caches far from the transit stations on your GPS?
If you have all the caches in town on your GPS, then you will indeed also have all the caches close to transit stations.
The fact that a given cache is on your GPS doesn't meant that you have to go look for it.

Just get out of the transit station, and start looking for the closest cache on your GPS.
The fact that you also have caches far from the station on your GPS doesn't prevent you from looking only for the ones that are close to you.

Or do you have a limitation on your GPS about how many caches you can load onto it?