Author Topic: Monterra - Garmin maps  (Read 1808 times)

dadndaughter

Monterra - Garmin maps
« on: June 13, 2014, 16:06:27 »
Bought a new Monterra last week after my Montana 650 decided it didn't want to adhere any longer to the IPX7 standard.
I immediately upgraded the software to the current 3.20_1.21.00 (that had been released only the day prior to my purchase). Its going to take a lot to get used to this new device and I'm not entirely convinced yet that I made the best choice (maybe shoulda got another Montana  650....) Anyway, the unit does NOT recognize my Garmin Deutschland Topo 2012 Pro microSD card. This is a real Garmin map chip (not a copied /bootleg version). This is the same map chip that I used in my Oregon 400, 450, 550, Montana 650, Hopper12's Montana 600, and Nuvi 265W so I know that the chip is not the problem. The map set does not show up at in the menu of select-able maps. Note. My OSM map chip work just fine in this unit.
I submitted an email to the Garmin help desk with all the pertinent info and then they came back and asked me a couple more silly questions which I duly answered. Their reply then came back "Hmmm. It should work as it is compatible. I have no information why it is not working on your device. I'll have to escalate this to my senior tech".
Are Monterra users in the Ottawa area using OSM maps or has anyone had success with any official Garmin map chips in this unit?

Cheers
Daryl

GPComd

• Baby Cacher
Re: Monterra - Garmin maps
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 06:52:44 »
Darryl this is too funny - I had a Monterra, and now have a Montana 650. 
The Monterra suffered a tragic caching accident during warmup caches for GAG21.  Apparently the screens aren't meant to survive getting angrily launched into the air and landing on a gravel pathway.  The unit had dumped all my cache text data for the last time and I saw red.  Between that and excessive buttonology, a compass that never calibrated, high power consumption, and a map zoom that was terrible for caching, it was only time before I dumped it anyways.
For maps I was using the downloadable OSM & Ibycus ones.  One had better street info for in-city caching, one had better trails, woodlines, etc for out in the greenbelt and further afield.  I haven't tried any Garmin brand map cards.
I bought a 650 about an hour later at LeBaron's on Merivale, and am quite happy with it.  Took the microSD card with the maps out of the Monterra, put it into the Montana, and it worked like a charm. 

GPC

dadndaughter

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 17:39:08 »
I really enjoyed my Montana for the past 2 years. Unfortunately it must have had one too many accidental drops and there was a small crack in one corner of the display. While caching at Checkpoint Bravo in the pouring rain with Hopper12 and Binrat, water must have seeped in through the crack. After that, the GPS would boot up to the main screen but the screen was unresponsive. The 2 year warranty had just passed by a month! I had played with a Monterra in a store a couple of times and was kinda wowed with the features etc and figured this was my excuse to by one. Today was my first full day in the field with it and I can honestly say "NEVER AGAIN will I purchase a new Garmin model until it has been fully proven and all the bugs corrected". Imagine, paying $750 to essentially Beta test this model for Garmin. This is exactly what all the other suckers, err, I mean early adopters are doing for Garmin. This is a disgrace! I have the latest software 3.20 in it and it is still full of bugs, not to mention basic features that are just plain missing. I can hardly imagine how you put up with it for so long since you purchased your unit many months ago and with a much earlier software release. I'm on the Garmin Monterra wikispaces forum and all are complaining about the same bugs. Most users have stated that they have gone back to using their Montana and much prefer it...... Guess I'll try to work some OT and keep my eye open for a deal on a Montana 650.
My caching partner today uses an Oregon 600 and I've followed his rants about the buggy software and all the upgrades in it since he had purchased it last year. He seemed to be finally happy with it until I heard his frustration today in having to enter the wp coords 3 times EACH time he makes a wp!
I'm still waiting to hear from Garmin with regards to the Garmin Map being recognized in the Monterra.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 23:25:47 »
Sad to say but it seems the general rule for new Garmin units is to wait about 2 years until the bugs are resolved, and then buy one.

The Monterra sounded like the perfect device when it was announced, especially in the age of smartphone caching, but it's yet another botched implementation.
Lots of complaints about it in the various forums.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 08:40:52 »
This reminds me of the rants about Magellan units back in the day - poor functionality, bad customer service and frustrated users. It made GARMIN the default GPS for quite a while. I wonder if GARMIN has dropped the ball here or if they can recover? I certainly will never be an 'early adopter' of any GARMIN device, when my 60Cxs finally dies I will look long and hard at any unit that has been in the field for more than 3 or 4 years.

Thanks for working all the bugs out for us guys, I appreciate all your efforts on my behalf.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

dadndaughter

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 10:51:17 »
I haven't launched mine yet, but I have thought about it several times. Still haven't heard back from Garmin as to why a Garmin map chip is not recognized in the Monterra. I'm using the OSM map at present. I'm learning the idiosyncrasies of the unit but that doesn't mean I like it any better than a week ago. I seem to just keep finding more bugs and missing basic features that are just plain not there. I've even resorted to using my iPhone 5 many times this past week to find the cache.