Author Topic: Do you need a poison ivy tutorial?  (Read 1929 times)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Do you need a poison ivy tutorial?
« on: June 24, 2014, 12:34:12 »
We discussed poison ivy at the last CCC Workshop, http://canadascapitalcachers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=1829.0 and it's always amazed me that people cannot recognize such a pernicious and common plant. If you need help in recognition I recommend a little hike down the trail to "NY Central RR Trail_03" http://coord.info/GC4T1T4

It's 'recommended for children' too, so you'll get some practice in treating contact dermatitis as well, if you bring the kids along.....

It's really not a good idea to place a cache in such a huge patch of poison ivy. If the finder isn't aware of the hazard you've caused them a lot of grief.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

PA

Re: Do you need a poison ivy tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 20:23:26 »
I am an expert on Poison ivy.  I can tell everyone what it looks like.  However I cannot recognize the plant. 

I lived in Hull till I was 12 and caught poison Ivy 8 years in a row.  Family doctor swore that my rash one January was Poison Ivy. Caught it a few times since then.

Been caching in the hills in SF area on our many visits to California and I caught Poison Oak each time. Cant recognize that either

PAul

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 22:03:12 »
It's easy to forget at the beginning of the season.

A few weeks ago when I was caching on the TCT between Jinkinson and Ashton Station Road, I ended up standing in a small patch of PI.
I just happened to look down, saw the three leaves...and uttered a few choice words before finding an easy way out of the patch and made my way to the cache.

GopherGreg

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 18:29:54 »

For the last three years now I have caught both poison ivy and poison oak. While I've never ever heard a description from anyone about what poison oak looks like, I have heard three or four different descriptions of what people believe to be poison ivy.  ???