Author Topic: Fellow Geocachers  (Read 1155 times)

WillRoar

Fellow Geocachers
« on: June 25, 2014, 11:35:31 »
Hi everyone,

Is there a proper etiquette or a way to ask if someone is searching for a geocache?

The reason I ask can be explained if I tell you my experience...
I had found someone who was very obviously not prepared to venture where they were headed.  They started out down the unmaintained road in their car; then retreated.  When I passed them they were starting to walk down the unmaintained road, dressed in nice beach attire and canvas shoes looking down at either a phone or gps.

There is no way on earth a local would attempt to drive down that road in a car (I used my Jeep4x4).  Secondly the amount of mosquitoes, deerflies and mud they were about to encounter also indicated they were not dressed for where they were heading.

My only conclusion is they were not local and didn't know the area, but were on a mission somewhere down the road.  Maybe a fellow geochacher?

I would have liked to offer to take them down the road in my Jeep to save them ruining their shoes and being eaten alive by bugs... but I didn't :(

So... is there a proper way to find out or ask if someone is searching for a geocache?

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Re: Fellow Geocachers
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 12:56:04 »
Certainly sounds like a 'tourist' cacher, perhaps a spur of the moment cache hunt...

I would have just asked what cache he was heading for. Giving him a ride, or at least some local knowledge about what was before him would have been very helpful. Don't be shy, just say hello and make a new friend!

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
Re: Fellow Geocachers
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 06:57:43 »
This same kind of question is why I have a TB. 

I feel much better pulling up to a cache and either seeing a car with a geocaching sticker or some other identifying mark so I figured if it made me feel more comfortable about approaching someone then I should also 'mark myself' as a geocacher for other peoples comfort.

This is also one of the reasons I like a dedicated GPS instead of a cellphone.  When I am out caching with with my geocaching.com lanyard and Oregon GPS, another cacher will know for certain what I am doing and that makes me more approchable.  Someone looking at a cell phone could be doing a number of different things.