Author Topic: Poison Parsnip - SNCITO5 Geodogs  (Read 2540 times)

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
Poison Parsnip - SNCITO5 Geodogs
« on: July 03, 2014, 06:55:25 »
A word of caution.    At this time of year, the poison parsnip is rampant on the trails and in the fields to caches.   The poison parsnip is as tall as 4 feet.   Perhaps it might be best to wait until the snow when the nasty weed is dried up.    The caches are off the trail so avoiding the poison parsnip if unavoidable

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
Re: Poison Parsnip - SNCITO5 Geodogs
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 08:06:30 »
You don't actually need to wait until the snow. Later in August, it dries up and turns brown. This is also when it looses it's seeds on the unsuspecting world. However, as the sap is the issue, once it is brown, it's of no concern.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 13:14:40 »
My Barrhaven Snow Dump cache also has a lot of Poison Parsnip on the way to it, and now almost right at GZ as well.

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 15:52:12 »
You don't actually need to wait until the snow. Later in August, it dries up and turns brown. This is also when it looses it's seeds on the unsuspecting world. However, as the sap is the issue, once it is brown, it's of no concern.
Thanks Portera.   I'll go back in the fall, easier than snowshoeing.   In the meantime, I'll have to get right of all my blisters.   I got a lot even though I was fully covered.   It sure doesn't take much to be infected.  I was blazing the trail for two others and I was crushing the stuff as I went along.  Luckily, the two people who were with me did have it.   Phew.  
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 22:29:45 by kirok »

Keeper of Maps

• Baby Cacher
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 14:51:40 »
Thanks Portera.   I'll go back in the fall, easier than snowshoeing.   In the meantime, I'll have to get right of all my blisters.   I got a lot even though I was fully covered.   It sure doesn't take much to be infected.  I was blazing the trail for two others and I was crushing the stuff as I went along.  Luckily, the two people who were with me did have it.   Phew.  
You're lucky you didn't get it in your eyes!

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 15:18:43 »
When we were out caching last on Friday, I encountered poison parsnip that was taller than I was, on the way to the final for Alphabet Soup #5 (GC20W3H).

It's already drying up and turning brown.