Author Topic: 35mm film cans - 101  (Read 2776 times)

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
35mm film cans - 101
« on: September 24, 2010, 15:19:58 »
A short primer on 35mm film cans.

They are not all the same, and they have proven capabilities and disadvantages depending on the situation.

The 'models':

#1 - Your basic Black and Grey 35mm film can. We've all seen them and used them for years. They are still the standard go-to when you need a container that will be exposed to the elements. They are mostly waterPROOF, not necessarily waterTIGHT...but are the best option for outdoor use.

Note the prominent lip on the container and the ringed inside-and-outside gasket on the inside of the lid. Some lids have a smooth gasket inside and out, but they don't 'snap' on and seal as tightly.

There is a cousin to good old #1, and it exactly the same except for the white container instead of black. And yes, there ARE black lids out there for those who feel the need. These are the Ne-Plus-Ultra film cans for the birdhouse builders out there, we know who we are...

#2 - Stylish White Tubular 35mm film can. This one has a lid that snaps INSIDE the container. A poor choice for any outdoor application that is exposed to the weather, this one is much better suited to use INSIDE another container; say, to hold the logbook, cito bags, or other small items. The material also seems to be somewhat more brittle than good old #1.

#3 - Odd Duck 35mm. This one is a fail at most any application. The lid snaps outside the container, but the lip is too small and the inner gasket too small to properly make a waterproof seal. They tend to pop their lids spontaneously at times. Save yourself the trouble and use these for small items in your home workshop.

#4 - The FUJI 35mm. These containers, by several manufacturers, are mostly oval, black or white, with a snap lid that goes INSIDE the container. Once again, not so good for outdoor use, but handy inside other containers.

Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
Re: 35mm film cans - 101
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 17:22:07 »
As was mentioned to me in a different post on the forum, you can ask for them at any big box store photo lab.  I asked for 5-10 at a Walmart and they gave about 20.

Taoiseach

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 17:48:06 »
As was mentioned to me in a different post on the forum, you can ask for them at any big box store photo lab.  I asked for 5-10 at a Walmart and they gave about 20.

I did the same once, and got 8 dozen!

graciious

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 19:09:37 »
I stumbled upon about 50 of the #2's today.  If you have a need let me know.  I will bring them to the next M&E.

RDLtrekker

• Full Time Cacher
  • Just one more....!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 20:44:32 »
thank you for the lesson master Yoda... good to know best, better, good, no-good for geocaching containers from those in the know.  ;D
Just one more... :) !

The_BOD

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 08:14:41 »
I was at my local Loblaws last sunday and because of this article I decided to check out the photolab on my way out.  The lady looked at me like I was crazy but still unloaded about 30 of them in my bag.... SWEET...   Thanks  ;D

yukonshawn

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 09:34:45 »
I reckon a having a container swap at this 'Meet & Eat' (or the following one) would be a good idea, especially with GAG15 coming up later in the fall.

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 09:02:15 »
What a valuable lesson.  Now I'm checking my container ....  Thanks

Starkiller

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 12:31:19 »
All we need now is a location that goes through ammunition as quickly... so they will be just as liberal with the ammo cans.

But if that much ammo was being used in the area, geocaching might not be the only thing I think about...

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 13:05:53 »
To who ever beat me to the Kanata Walmart this morning and cleaned out all of the film containers (assuming it was even a geocacher), may there be heavy tree cover where ever you are caching next ;)  ;D.

Seriously, is there any concern that the supply of these containers is drying up?  I've been to a few photo places and only managed to get a few and they are usually not types #1 or 2.  Need a few for a project I'm working on, (was hoping for type #1's but will make due with #2's) but I've had to hunt a little more that I thought I'd have to.

graciious

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 13:09:27 »
I tried to give away a ton of #2's with a few of the less desirable containers away earlier this year, and eventually (this past week) threw them in the garbage.  They might still be in my garage.  I also have a bag of #1's (At least 30 containers) at home that are available if you are ever in Orleans.

Drop me a PM if you want them.

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 13:17:54 »
THX for the offer but I'm in the West end and need them in the next couple of days as I promised have the cache out shortly.  If you are at any of the workshops maybe I could get a few #1's for the future.  Next couple of cache ideas don't require them.

missbug

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 13:52:04 »
i have a bag of #1s. how many do you need?

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 14:41:12 »
Missbug, PM'd you.