Author Topic: Explorist 610  (Read 3514 times)

F0restGrump

Explorist 610
« on: September 23, 2014, 07:08:52 »
I picked this up at Candian Tire last night as it was on sale and I had a packet of CTC money. Normally I could not see spending this kind of money on a GPSr but hey, this was too good a deal to pass up.

Coming for an Explorist 310, this was like a walk in my own back yard except everything seemed bigger and faster to navigate through. Touch screen...ahhhh. Electronic compass....ahhhhh.

I have yet to use it in anger but that will happen this weekend. I will give a full review at that point.

If it is anything like my well used 310, I will be quite happy with it.

Cheers, Charlie (FG)

FoxEcho

Re: Explorist 610
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 23:17:39 »
I bought a very lightly used one last month, dirt cheap.
Still learning the ins and outs of it, but sure love to be paperless now!  :)

F0restGrump

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 13:44:50 »
Well I used this unit over the last 4 days to log about 70 caches and for the most part, am very happy with the unit.

The touch screen is so nice. As much as I managed quite well with the buttons/toggle on my 310, the touch screen is soooo much nicer.

Having the electronic compass synched to the display is quite nice as well. It is so nice to know that my display is pointing in the correct direction when trying to find those nastier than thou cache locations.

Having the built in camera for a quick record of a water filled container is quite nice but I still use my camera for the nice vistas.

Two things did drive me crazy and I have a feeling that it might simply be a setting: one is the constant "updating track information" message when coming out of suspend mode. The other was a bit more concerning when the unit stopped updated my position. Like I said, I will have to do a bit more reading on the setting before I scream too much.

Foxecho....did you see these same behaviours?

Later,

Charlie (FG)

FoxEcho

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 12:07:06 »
Didn't really noticed about that, I'm still trying to figure out why no caches will appear on the maps even though they're set up to be.

F0restGrump

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 12:19:43 »
I am not having that problem...mine works fine in that regard. Are you in the West End? Or work downtown? If so, maybe we could compare notes over coffee some time.

Cheers, Charlie

FoxEcho

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 14:02:03 »
I don't have many notes as I've barely used it so far (still mostly using my 60Cx)
but one day, sure! I work far south-end and live in Gatineau.