Author Topic: karl karlson  (Read 6022 times)

GeoAventuriers

Re: karl karlson
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 23:14:57 »
Just be careful which Deadwood gets your nasty log! I don't want his poor cache associated with my quality hide!   Grin Grin

Don't worry, yours was a great cache!!  ;D ;D ;)

Looks like this guy is one vindictive POS!!! :-\ :-\

ocm_ott

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 06:11:23 »
We did a couple of his caches, but we ignore them. I think from the childish hides and behaviour we might be dealing with a kid (at least I'm hoping so, an adult acting this way is different story).

missbug

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 12:07:47 »
his new cache sounds like a letterbox hybrid or offset traditional, and is listed as a traditional.
http://coord.info/GC2FVAJ

narcissa

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 12:37:13 »
I hit NA on that new one.

I have a feeling there's more to this story.

I'm really growing tired of sock puppets, and I think I can guess who's behind this one.

graciious

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 12:42:01 »
If someone is actually taking the time to publish this garbage, I hope they are taking the time to publish proper caches under their own name.  Furthermore, let me know who it is and I can ignore their caches too!

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 14:02:26 »
For that particular cache, I guess he could just change "Once at the coordinates" for "Near the coordinates" in the hints and whiners would stop whining. Twelve feet (about 3-4 meters) is within reasonable range.

Taoiseach

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 18:38:58 »
For that particular cache, I guess he could just change "Once at the coordinates" for "Near the coordinates" in the hints and whiners would stop whining. Twelve feet (about 3-4 meters) is within reasonable range.

Quote from: From the Guidelines
Traditional Caches

This is the original cache type consisting of (at a bare minimum) a container and a logbook. The cache may be filled with objects for trade. Normally you'll find a Tupperware-style container, ammo box, or bucket filled with goodies, or smaller container too small to contain items except for a logbook. The coordinates listed on the traditional cache page are the exact location of the cache. A container with no logbook and just an object or codeword for verification generally does not qualify as a traditional cache.

If the co-ords are just off, that's one thing.  If the cache page actually says that the co-ords are not for the cache, and you have to read the hint to determine the true location of the final, that's another.

The_BOD

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 18:49:33 »

Looks like this guy is one vindictive POS!!! :-\ :-\

Oh beleive me he is... and a major at that.  I am fighting for the principal here.  Why would a sock puppet be able to delete logs when I actually pay to play this game and contribute back to it.  Claim filled with geocaching and the process has begun.  My logs will more than problably be reposted and locked.    ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 19:01:19 by The_BOD »

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 18:55:48 »
Who is actually approving these caches in the first place?  The descriptions are non-sense, the containers have no thought put in to them and this last one with a redirect in the hint is just wrong.  In my opinion they should never have been approved in the first place.

What responsibility to the local reviewers have when deciding to post a cache?  Can't they refuse cases like this?  Should one be able to hid lots of caches when not actually finding any? 

yukonshawn

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 20:24:05 »
I think it is pretty evident from the writing style displayed in the cache description that we're dealing with someone who perhaps high school-aged at most.
Not that this comes as news or is shocking to anyone here or anything...

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 20:34:07 »
What responsibility to the local reviewers have when deciding to post a cache?  Can't they refuse cases like this?  Should one be able to hid lots of caches when not actually finding any?

In fact the reviewers have their hands tied in such matters. The cache description may suck, the hint is useless and the location dubious, but if the cache meets the guidelines then they must publish the cache. They may not approve, but they've got to publish.

It looks like we have to reach out to "Karl Karlson" and attempt to guide him along. Some constructive criticism may help him improve his hides, though just finding a couple of dozen would certainly help....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010, 22:00:18 »

Quote from: From the Guidelines
Traditional Caches

This is the original cache type consisting of (at a bare minimum) a container and a logbook. The cache may be filled with objects for trade. Normally you'll find a Tupperware-style container, ammo box, or bucket filled with goodies, or smaller container too small to contain items except for a logbook. The coordinates listed on the traditional cache page are the exact location of the cache. A container with no logbook and just an object or codeword for verification generally does not qualify as a traditional cache.

If the co-ords are just off, that's one thing.  If the cache page actually says that the co-ords are not for the cache, and you have to read the hint to determine the true location of the final, that's another.

That's my point. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference within 12 feet (a GPSr is not that precise). Wrong words were used in the hint and it's unfortunate it triggered this violent response on the cache page. There's a difference between constructive criticism and public bullying. I think the "Found it" logs were much more helpful than a "Needs Archiving" one...

He's probably a newbie and newbies are allowed to place caches (from the guidelines). He'll learn over time. Maybe Groundspeak will also learn a lesson here.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 22:46:52 »
He's probably a newbie and newbies are allowed to place caches (from the guidelines). He'll learn over time. Maybe Groundspeak will also learn a lesson here.

Not looking to start any wars here cron, but you need to understand people's position on this.  I see that you have yet to find one of this person's caches, so you have yet to be exposed to his geo-trash.  Add to that, he now has 8 placed caches without a single find to his name.   The slightest criticism in a cache log prompts for a violent e-mail response from him and in some cases, deletion of your log, so I think people are somewhat justified in venting a bit in his direction.

That said, I believe the solution is quite simple, and it applies to his caches as it does to any other cache that people don't want to find.  Hit the Ignore button.  I only wish I could Ignore an entire user profile instead of each individual cache.  If more people ignore his geo-junk, either he'll learn and do a better job, or just fade away and stop placing them.  Either way, we win.    If people continue to find his "caches" however, and say things like TFTC!, it only encourages him to continue.

narcissa

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 23:49:47 »
this violent response

Violent?

The cache obviously needs reviewer attention. The only way to get that in a hurry is to hit "Needs Archived." My log clearly states my reason for doing so.

"Needs Archived" really ought to be called "Needs Reviewer Attention." At the very least, this would prevent some of the hysterical responses and bizarre accusations that arise over these logs, and it would make some geocachers less reticent to use it.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 05:05:52 »
Violent?

Sorry, very poor choice of words on my part.  Call them childish and inappropriate.