Author Topic: GPSMap62s showing signs of Alzheimer  (Read 978 times)

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
GPSMap62s showing signs of Alzheimer
« on: October 20, 2014, 18:17:49 »
At first it was happening infrequently but I'm noticing it happening more and more: my 62s "forgets" what caches I have marked as Found, causing them to appear as potential targets in a subsequent visit to the area.  Today I was noticing that even caches marked as Found as recently as last week were showing up as green icons and not the usual open treasure chest.

Any ideas what may be causing this?  I know I can nuke them for good by removing them from my .gpx files but I didn't use to have to do that.

Re: GPSMap62s showing signs of Alzheimer
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 21:29:05 »
I'm not keeping my found caches on the GPSr, but I know there's a limit of caches you can put in a GPX file (not sure about the number), a limit of number of GPX files (200) and a total limit of caches in all GPX files (5000).

Maybe you reached one of these limits. Don't forget your found caches are added to the unfound caches you load in the GPSr. You have found over 3,000 caches, so it may be time to rethink how you do this (you could keep your found caches in POIs instead of a GPX).

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 22:29:30 »
How are you logging your finds?

If you use the Publish Logs feature of GSAK, I believe it deletes your geocache_visits file.
In that case, your finds become unfound again, unless you load a new GPX that does not include your finds.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 13:14:59 »
The 62s, like all the new Garmin devices, stores its information is flat files.  When you mark a cache as found, it does NOT change your GPX files, it simply adds an entry to a local text file in the GARMIN folder of your device.  The file is called "geocaching_visits.txt".    I regularly delete this file once I'm done all my logging, which will prompt the unit to recreate it upon next "found" cache.  It's a handy file for bulk logging too (GSAK parses the file directly if you want).  

I'm betting this file has gotten too long and the unit is only parsing in the first X number of finds in the list, with older finds getting ignored after a while.

If you use the Gamin export macro to load caches onto your device, you can have it create custom POI files of your found caches.  That way you don't need to keep them in your GPX file or your geocaching_visits.txt file.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 13:17:07 by kirok »

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 23:44:10 »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I don't use GSAK and I do periodically delete found caches from my GPX files so I don't think I've hit a limit.  I load GPX files downloaded from the GC.com site directly into the unit by copying them to the GPX folder on the drive letter assigned to the unit.

However I always wondered in what "database" the unit kept records of my finds and yes my geocache_visits file is getting quite long so I'll start by cleaning that one up and see what happens.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 23:46:40 by royfran »