Author Topic: Working on a caching streak, post it here  (Read 3427 times)

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
Working on a caching streak, post it here
« on: September 25, 2010, 20:10:16 »
Are you working on a caching streak? Keep your fellow CCC members up-to-date on your progress.

How many days are you at? Any close calls? Tips and suggestions?

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
Re: Working on a caching streak, post it here
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 20:21:43 »
Personally I'm on Day #26. (Sept 25th)

I've only had two close calls so far.  
One was more weather related but there was a cache close to home that I was able to grab in between rain showers.  
My other really close call was getting paged at 2PM on a Saturday and being stuck on the laptop at home working on a problem until about 8pm.  Finally got out of the house to do a Walmart run but didn't have my GPS, remembered that there was a Monkey cache behind the Metro in Barrhaven so I was able to grab that one.

Nice thing about working on a streak early in my caching life is that I have lots of options but I am finding it hard to drive by some easy caches as I think to myself that I should save it for a day I really need it.  Instead I'm focusing my big blocks of caching time towards caches that aren't drive-by's and doing multi/puzzle caches.

I'd like to make it to 100, that should be possible.  We'll see after that especially with winter coming.  

ETA:  Oct 7, Day 38........Oct 19, Day 50
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:14:19 by CocaColaCacher »

lacwitt

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 06:58:54 »
I'm at 189 days as of Sept. 25.  My closest, close call was one day I got busy, and didn't get out to find the cache until about 11:30 pm.  I chose a multi that I had found the redirect for on a previous outing, but still a risky prospect.  I looked for about 15 minutes in the fog for a micro in a tree.  Other than that, I find most of my caches on the way to work in the morning, so if I have a miss, I have all day to find another one.

bbrimacombe

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 10:21:31 »
I'm on day 57 as of yesterday.  I'll pick one up today when I head over to Carleton this afternoon.  I'm heading to Atlanta tomorrow for 6 days so I'm looking forward to being somewhere I've never cached before (and never been before). 

My closest call was probably on day 43.  I had DNFd on 'Jeux du Quebec 2010 - Tennis 1' because there were too many people playing tennis, so I left and tried a couple of other caches and was also unsuccessful.  I went back to the tennis courts and decided to wait the last couple out.  They didn't leave until the lights were turned off at 10:50pm.  Once they were gone, it was an easy find.

I have to be more careful when I get back from Atlanta because I have pretty much found all the caches within walking distance of home.  I think the island of Hull needs more caches ;) 

missbug

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 08:54:25 »
i have completed 192 consecutive days with at least one find and am working on 365! i'm just over half-way there now.

on day 98 or so (when i was just going for 100), i DNF'd one cache, couldn't access another (across the transitway) and then had to go to a virtual at the astrolab at 11:30pm! virtuals don't count for pbbj's http://coord.info/GC2BV7F in calgary, so i'm still going on that one too ;)

and for the past 3 weeks i've been without my oregon 550. tough going! hopefully my replacement will be delivered today, as indicated  :D

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 19:17:49 »
I have a challenge coming up.  I'll be in Disney World for six complete days in Oct (travel days before and after this so I should be O.K. those days).  We are staying on the resort with no access to a car.  I don't really want to leave the resort just to find a cache.  Luckily there are six virtual caches on site so I should be O.K but that is cutting it close.

Any suggestions?  Are there other caches I can do on-site that just aren't listed on the GC map?

Binrat

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 19:50:29 »
I am WAY off my usual pace this year due to work getting in the way.

So I am slowly working on my "Finds by Found Date" and am doing pretty good, but November and December are going to be killers.  I am "banking" caches close to home for those special days and even forced Ducky to place a cache in Brockville to help me out.

Other than that I need to find caches that were placed in 2000 as I have filled out all the other years.

Oh, and if al works out will hit 4000 at the Kingston 10-10-10 Event.

Binrat

JSDAFM

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 23:20:19 »

Other than that I need to find caches that were placed in 2000 as I have filled out all the other years.

Oh, and if al works out will hit 4000 at the Kingston 10-10-10 Event.

Binrat

Looks like a trip to NS or NY is in order!! 

and I hope to make it #4000, it would be an awesome one!

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 23:24:59 »
I'm not doing a consecutive streak, but I am trying to fill my cache calendar by day of year. I decided to start his on March 15, and so far haven't missed filling a day. Today was a bit dodgy, as it was raining, and I have developed a bad cold. I decided to try Taoiseach's Edsel puzzle cache, which has 2 possible GZ's, and a long projection, so co-ords are a bit tricky, but I managed to find it. There was a day early in the summer when I went to do a cache close to home, that I almost DNF'd on, but managed to find it just before giving up.

I have now finished September, and everything is going well, but December and January are going to be tough. I have saved up caches close to home, and I work in Ottawa, so there are still lots of caches to find, but a really bad snow storm on a day when I need a cache, could prove "fatal".
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 05:31:50 by portera »

lacwitt

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 04:39:58 »
I'm not doing a consecutive streak, but I am trying to fill my cache calendar by day of year. I decided to start his on March 15, and so far haven't missed filling a day. Today was a bit dodgy, as it was raining, and I have developed a bad cold. I decided o try Taoiseach's Edsel puzzle cache, which has 2 possible GZ's, and a long projection, so co-ords are a bit tricky, but I managed to find it. There was a day early in the summer when I went to do a cache close to home, that I almost DNF'd on, but managed to find it just before giving up.

I have now finished September, and everything is going well, but December and January are going to be tough. I have saved up aches close to home, and I work in Ottawa, so there are still lots of caches to find, but a really bad snow storm on a day when I need a cache, could prove "fatal".

That's cool.  I bet it's going to kill you though sitting and looking at that one empty square that you can only fill once every 4 years.  I bet there will be a LOT of caching going on Feb. 29 2012.  :P

graciious

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 07:57:36 »
There won't need to be ALOT of caching, I will be hosting an event.

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 08:37:44 »
I'm working on my first 100.  For sure there are days when ...  My most memorable day was when I spent the day at a funeral home and then with the family.  I finally got home around 11:00 p.m.   Then I drove to Gatineau to find a 1:1 cache at 11:45, just in the nick of time.  You gotta love the dedication!  It sure gets me out everyday.   Look forward to your event Gracious.

cavecats

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 08:39:00 »

My challenge for this year is "Finds by Day" - and I only have 6 more days to go!!!  ;D

I actually have a find for Feb. 29th and it was a fluke.  We were in Miami back in 2008 and decided take a stroll before embarking on our cruise.  We happened  ::)  to stroll right by Miami Freedom Tower.  ;)

graciious

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 09:54:36 »
Wow that's awesome.. congragts!

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 12:13:27 »
Any suggestions?  Are there other caches I can do on-site that just aren't listed on the GC map?

Sorry CocaCola' Disney doesn't have any caches except those virtuals. I made a point of bagging them when I visited the Parks.

Crockett's Wilderness Adventure by adventuretom (GCA402) was a welcome break from the noise and the crowds at the Magic Kingdom. A very peaceful hike in the 'country'.
Animal Kingdom by JTeate (GC3334) was very difficult because of the vegetation growth hiding the Manatee.
The rest were pretty straightforward virtuals.

Too bad you're a prisoner of Disney, the surrounding area has many caches! Enjoy your stay,

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça