Author Topic: Bad data loads  (Read 1171 times)

BluePanther51

• Baby Cacher
Bad data loads
« on: December 31, 2014, 18:43:01 »
Seems like every time I'm away from my PC I end up with bad data on my GPS.  First all the caches I put in a PQ for the Halloween event were missing when I arrived there, and this past weekend the PQ with the route to North Bay was missing when I pulled over at the first rest stop.

What steps to others take to ensure that all the caches end up on the GPS as expected.

brewsterjuice

Re: Bad data loads
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 09:57:24 »
I always check before I leave the house. Nothing like going on a caching journey and then finding out you don't have the cache data. My experience is that I've usually made an all-or-nothing mistake e.g. I don't need to check all the caches, just one or two in the target area.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 14:47:30 »
I load my GPS using a GSAK export macro, which strips out bad characters in some cache listings that can cause load failures.

I also power my GPS on while at home to make sure it will load.

I used to have load failures quite often with my eTrex 20, simply due to the amount of caches I load (1500+).
Since getting the GPSMAP 62s, I don't believe I have had a load failure.

Sometimes the caches may be there, but they simply didn't get indexed properly; that's why I place my caches on an external microSD card.
If there is a load failure related to an indexing problem, remove the card, restart the GPS.
Shut it off, put the card back in and turn it on again.
That usually resolves the problem if it's related to an indexing problem.

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 22:37:48 »
Seems like every time I'm away from my PC I end up with bad data on my GPS.  First all the caches I put in a PQ for the Halloween event were missing when I arrived there, and this past weekend the PQ with the route to North Bay was missing when I pulled over at the first rest stop.

What steps to others take to ensure that all the caches end up on the GPS as expected.

Can you tell me what GPS you are using.  It might help with advice.

BluePanther51

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 22:50:20 »
I've already lost a few memory cards while changing batteries in the field on the Garmin 62sc.
At the moment I have a few PQs to cover the area plus a few extras, I then use gpsbabel to merge them.  Today it hung up at the half way mark trying to load the gpx file.  A few local caches are missing but I typed in my target manually today.

I'm thinking a more specific Query for the days or weeks activities might be easier to verify. 
My current file is 21mb merging about 10 PQs.

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 00:35:20 »
The GPSMAP 62s seems to have a mind of its own sometines: I've had more than one instance where I loaded a GPX file, even verified it afterwards to ensure the caches I want to find are in it, and yet, once on site, the caches are nowhere to be found in the cache list on the unit.

Xira

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 20:43:08 »
I have a similar sounding problem with my Etrex 20. I load it using the GarminExport export macro in GSAK. I've learned to check after disconnecting it from the computer because about 1/3 of the time the new file is no longer there. A good clue that all is OK is if, when I start it up, it takes a bunch of time to load the waypoints etc. If that doesn't happen, then the file has disappeared. I just go through the motions again. I load it into the GPS memory, not onto the SD card.

I've never had the caches disappear once I've checked them. Royfran: did you load the caches onto the SD card? Perhaps it came loose. I've occasionally had to reseat mine after changing the batteries.

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 01:31:40 »
Royfran: did you load the caches onto the SD card? Perhaps it came loose. I've occasionally had to reseat mine after changing the batteries.

No, to internal memory; the only thing on SD card are the maps and they load fine.  It's waay weirder than that: sometimes I load a bunch of caches in the same GPX and only SOME of the ones in the file go missing.