Author Topic: Benches & Bearings  (Read 1649 times)

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
Benches & Bearings
« on: January 07, 2015, 11:44:27 »
I solved Benches & Bearings yesterday (only had to visit the posted).

Not knowing the area where the cache is, with the freezing rain we had last weekend, would it be safe to go and look for it?
Looking at the logs, it seems in general that folks don't tend to look for this one, and another nearby cache, between November and March...is there a reason?

Aleutian Islanders

• Baby Cacher
Re: Benches & Bearings
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 14:08:15 »
It has been a while, but I think you should be able to find a way to it that doesn't involve clambering up and down ice covered rocks, although it won't be the most direct approach.

When I first started on this I didn't even have to visit the posted, although I did.  The garbage container was missing, presumably since replaced, so I made an assumption that it was similar to another one I spotted on the ride home.

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 17:55:38 »
Hehehe, this is the only cache that I can proudly say that I have out-binthaired.
Knowing that some of the waypoints were no longer the same as originally, and not too keen on traveling a lot, I came up with a completely different strategy which provided me the exact coordinates from the comfort of my home (though it still did require some thorough detective work).

If you decide to go, I would recommend you use some good crampons for this cache. As long as you are careful and choose your way adequately, it might be OK.
I personally think that the area and its surrounding geocaches are a lot more enjoyable in the warm months (but watch for poison ivy), especially a neat feature further than the cache that you will most likely not be able to see in the winter.

Cheers,

cd.cuts

yukonshawn

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 19:43:58 »
At present, I have doubts about its winter friendliness.
My doubts pertain more to the cache becoming frozen in place rather than being snowbound.

Besides, winter doesn't do this area justice.
I found 'Benches and Bearings' and the nearby multi during April, and did not regret it.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 22:44:36 »
I don't know if the handy parking will be plowed in winter, but the hike in is like any other this time of year. Yes, the cache might be iced in - but a find is always possible, just maybe not a signed logbook. Watch out for critters at the GZ though.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

Lemmy Caution

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 13:43:24 »
My two cents...  you can figure out the final from the comfort of home and there is parking near GZ but the parking lot may not be open or plowed this time of year.  Better to wait until spring.  You can do the very nice multi nearby much easier then.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 19:45:26 »
Yeah, I'm going to put this one on the back burner and wait until spring.

I found the elusive WP2 for Where Am I? this evening, even though I've driven by it for years and never noticed it until tonight; that one also goes on the back burner until spring.