Author Topic: Been there, so has....?  (Read 3186 times)

BigMandDJ

• Baby Cacher
Been there, so has....?
« on: June 19, 2013, 12:40:03 »
Ever cached away from home and noticed a local cacher has also been there? Our first occurrence was on trip to Stowe Vermont in August 2011. A great cache there is called Bootlegger's Burrow GC1256W2. Checking the image gallery--who do you think was holding the cache? Bet you got it in one! bluelamb03 of course. Next we noticed that we shared Tennis Anyone? Redoux GC3T3WH, in Saranac Lake 2012 with brewsterjuice. There are at least 4 'locals' besides us on A Life Well Lived: With Book and Pipe GC1RKED, in Lake Placid. (RKH_seekers, venture-catt, cambold and Menipe) I would guess CCC is well represented out 'there' even from our limited experience. Just an observation while DJ and I were planning our 2013 road trip, and reminiscing as well. 

GreyingJay

Re: Been there, so has....?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 13:40:10 »
It always makes me laugh when I visit an out of town cache and pull up the photos for a hint, only to discover model12 or bluelamb03's smiling mug staring back at me!

The most memorable was a number of years ago when I was caching in Winnipeg. I found a well-hidden micro along the riverfront. There had been a number of recent DNFs by the locals, and when I opened the logbook, the last name to sign in was The Burrow! I joked in my online log that maybe only Ottawa cachers knew how to find this sort of hide.

F0restGrump

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 20:47:01 »
Similarly, caching many hours away (Barry's Bay) only to hit two caches in a row by model12  :)

Femmeng

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 12:29:36 »
The last time I was in Victoria, Model 12 was about 5 days ahead of me.
I have also seen the names of local cachers in Halifax, and Moncton.
I expect I will see lots of local names when I go down east this summer (but sadly, I can't make the Mega in Fredericton).

GopherGreg

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 09:36:28 »
I often find caches that others have found. Virtuals in Toronto, have been found by most geocachers in Ottawa with over 20 virtual cache finds it seems.

Probably every cache I found in New York had been found by someone from Ottawa. Most of the virtuals were found by (I think it was) StarKiller_, and some of them were found by a kid in my school who's sister geocaches. And most of them were found by bluelamb. But with so many finds I'm not really suprised... ::)

BigMandDJ

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 08:26:32 »
A shameless addition to our own thread! DJ and I have just returned from Florida where we signed a log, on Anna Maria island, just a few weeks after trish88. She was one of the first CCC'ers we had met, 'on the trail', back in our formative geocaching years, mid 2011. This year we took the Amtrak AutoTrain having done the Cache and Dash in each state by car on a previous trip. If you end up down near Manatee County there is a great series of caches called Taking Flight GeoTour (TFGT). Complete a Passport and get a Geotag, while they last! Take a hike!

narcissa

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 17:07:53 »
I think Binrat once found a cache immediately after me... in Myra Canyon, near Kelowna, BC.

yukonshawn

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 20:55:21 »
I have seen local cachers' names on log sheets throughout Ontario, Quebec, New Hampshire, New York and Maine.

This past January we found a model12 cache (an earth cache) in Antigua.

Even more random was when we were in Mexico during January 2013.
We decided to explore and walked to the nearest cache, which was in Puerto Aventuras.
Four days later, the same cache was found by the two CCC members who live closest to me back here in Ottawa: lynnewill and 8ender.

brewsterjuice

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 10:38:54 »
A year ago I did some caching in South Africa. I bookmarked a cache I really liked and then a few months later I got a notification that BrianDiane was logging it. And a couple of years ago I followed in the caching footsteps of Jungelhair and Tromelin on the big island of Hawaii and did a lot of the same caches. Its a small world and a small caching community  :)

geobob7

• Jr. Cacher
  • GC3R69H
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 01:06:59 »
When caching down in Utah I kept seeing logs by junglehair and Tromelin, I think it was mostly Bryce Canyon and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

BigMandDJ

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 11:01:12 »
Bumping our own thread again. DJ and I were on a great geo vacation in Gorham New Hampshire a few weeks ago. Completed a nearby 60 cache NH Geoart Puzzle run, biked some great rails-to-trails, drove up Mt Washington (worth the trip alone!) and just generally had a fantastic time. Prior to our trip we scouted the area and found Rockumulus had recently logged the Mt. Washington web cache and the 911 memorial at the top. A quick email to him and he suggested a couple more caches we should not miss, including Glen Ellis Falls. He had a great hike to Lake of the Clouds Hut cache from the top of Mt Washington, but it was too much for us to attempt that day. On another cache called An Old Road, we signed in not too long after str8upcacher, who was on a return trip from the NB Mega. Anyway, it's always fun to see some of Ottawa 'locals' when travelling.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 17:43:59 »
We really enjoyed our trip to the White Mountains NH back in 2010.  Mt. Washington, Glen Ellis Falls, and plenty of other waterfalls (Thompson, Jackson, Arethusa, etc...) were the highlight of the trip.  Some nice Gorge caches too, a few Earthcaches, our first cache in the state of Maine, and a nice loop hike along the Welch Dickey trail to the top of Dickey mountain and back rounded off our trip nicely.

Glad you had fun.  We'll surely be back in the future, but so many other places to explore first.  ;D

BigMandDJ

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 08:03:26 »
Had to 'bump' this again. DJ and I are avoiding some of winter down in South Carolina. Yesterday, on a geo road trip we logged three caches right behind Family Ties. Looks like they were heading back North. We were in Yemassee and Walterboro SC. Have to 'travel' a bit from our local southern GZ to find caches now, after clearing out the area over a few years. Gotta cache though!