Author Topic: Jock River  (Read 1987 times)

BluePanther51

• Baby Cacher
Jock River
« on: January 12, 2015, 23:56:49 »
I' m thinking Feb 1 might be a good time to snowshoe the Jock an pick up the caches that will need a boat in 6 months.

geobob7

• Jr. Cacher
  • GC3R69H
Re: Jock River
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 00:24:20 »
I have done a few, but might be interested depending on which caches you are going for.

BluePanther51

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 11:23:16 »
I've created a list of caches on the Jock http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=40f1d9ac-4679-4885-8d62-a08d551e47f4

Starting with  A Little Birdie Paddled Me Bow Wow #5  and running down to The root of the problem.
I suggest getting dropped at Steeple Hill Crescent and then treking back to a car dropped at Greenbank 

It's just over 8 km of flat terrain that may be packed by snowmobiles with 30 caches and a few more off the river near the finish.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 12:58:27 »
Please read recent logs on the cachepages before heading out. There is usually open water at the three shallow fast-water spots. Just below Moodie, the land bridge below the Bow of the Jock Park, and before and under the Greenbank Rd bridge.

Stay close to shore and you should be fine.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

yukonshawn

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 13:28:27 »
Provided it's not as horrendously cold as it was yesterday, I am contemplating heading out next Saturday afternoon for the "In the Moodie" series, and the cache near the bridge on Moodie.

As ridiculously cold as last winter was, I still encountered open water along the Jock, between Moodie and Highway 416 during early-February. As Steve mentioned, take note of where rapids are, as they will likely remain unfrozen during the winter, and proceed with caution.

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 01:56:45 »
We did find six caches on the Jock river this past Sunday.
We saw open water, soft patches of ice, and we even heard the loud noise of ice cracking close to us at our last cache.

JohnMc seems to have found most of the caches on the West side (i.e. around Moodie westward) within the past week.
His logs do not seem too good on the stretch along Steeple Hill Crescent, with more dangerous ice conditions and some logbooks apparently missing, and when it comes to heading East he seems to have given up for good a short ways East of Moodie, because of poor ice conditions.

Depending on ice conditions, you may be able to do a number of them, but snowshoeing through the entire length of the river might prove to be way too ambitious.

Good luck,

cd.cuts

BluePanther51

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 18:18:44 »
Did 12 km today on the P'tit sud and snowshoes were not needed.  Unfortunately I had to back track 6 km to get to the car. 
Has anyone checked snow conditions on the river recently?

marvin_gardens

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 20:45:18 »
I was on the river today.  I started from the park on SteepleHill, and headed east to just before the train bridge so I can only comment on that leg. 

Snowmobilers have been accessing the river from this park and head south towards Richmond, but I didn't go that way.  There were no snowmobile trails on the river between the farm road and the train bridge, except for one point where they crossed the river. 

The river at the farm road (N 45 15.249, W 75 48.364) is still open at the center.  There is a couple of large branches in the water about 50m east of this road (very close to the north shore) and one foot went though the ice there.  After that I followed the previous finders snowshoe trail and had no issues.  The trails stayed close to shore, except for two spots where they crossed the river.  I didn't see any other open water, save for a small creek draining into the river. I have no idea how thick the ice is or if it can handle the weight of a mob.

Xira

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 01:01:47 »
Last Wednesday, I parked on Cedarview and walked westward to get Little Birdie on the Anduin. I used the snowmobile track but even off it, there was only about 2" of snow. I didn't use snowshoes. It was great.  There was no open water to worry about along that stretch.