Author Topic: Cache Movement  (Read 849 times)

graciious

Cache Movement
« on: September 26, 2010, 20:52:32 »
This will sound really stupid for most of you, However I recently read somewhere that moving a cache 7 kilometers and not archiving the old cache and submitting a new cache was a no no.  What is the acceptable limit?  I had to move The Princess around when fixing it up today, I guess it's about 20 feet, and I know this isn't a huge amount but didn't want to ruffle any feathers by moving it and not following protocol.

Since I don't know, I thought the best solution would be to ask.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
Re: Cache Movement
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 21:04:40 »
Whenever you move your cache you should be aware that there are lots of cachers out there who may have your OLD coordinates in their GPSRs or GSAK.

One way to notify watchers is to disable your cache, update the coordinates and then enable your cache. That way, notification emails go out to those watching, and any new downloads will contain your logs regarding the move for those not watching.

If you get a message saying the move is too large a distance, simply contact the reviewer who published your cache (at the bottom of your cache page) and request them to move it. Cite your reasons; they will check for proximity issues and get back to you.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

graciious

Re: Cache Movement
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 04:57:49 »
Thanks.

The cache review was notified, the last 3 people that DNF'd were notified, and since the cache was already disabled, when I update the listing with new coordinates and finish the publishing process, new finders will be notified. If there are complaints I can move it back, and build a new hide.