Author Topic: Nosey Neighbour Interference  (Read 2039 times)

geonerding

Nosey Neighbour Interference
« on: September 30, 2010, 09:34:13 »
How better to have my question answered than to put it to the forums??

One of our caches - Nothing to Ball About - GC1YAT, has a nosey neighbour.  The cache is in a public green space in some trees that sit up against a fence.  On the other side of this fence is a woman who has apparently been grilling people she sees hanging around the GZ.  She has apparently threatened to call police, city etc (but not yet done so within the year the cache has been there).

My personal feelings are that she can do whatever she sees fit, however, I do not intend on archiving the cache because of her paranoia about why people are there. I would however consider the ever so wise opinions of the CCC community. So, has she harassed you?  Would you be upset if she called the police (or find it an opportunity to inform some local blue about the game)? If it was your cache what would you do?

FoxEcho

Re: Nosey Neighbour Interference
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 10:06:14 »
Poking around someone's fence, even if it's from the outside,
even if there's plenty of vegetation to hide behind,
is not my favorite way of geocaching. 
I can understand the unhappy people who live on the other side of that fence.
My two cents...
FoxEcho

cavecats

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 10:07:20 »
How about considering this person to be a "concerned citizen" versus a "nosey neighbour"?
Has anybody taken the time to be honest and explain to her that a "game" is being played?  
Does anyone know the lowdown on in this area? I do believe this particular part of town has a lot of public housing and unfortunately this sometimes means "gangs" "drugs" and "violence".
If after explaining to this woman the game, she still feels uneasy, I would consider moving it.

PhotoCrasher

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 10:32:34 »
I can tell you from personal experience that most people in this neighborhood are edgy about drugs and gangs. When my wife and I first moved to Ottawa five years ago we moved into the near-by Alta Vista Towers. Trust me... if I had any knowledge of the area at the time I wouldn't have even stepped two feet within those buildings.

Cops were at the front doors almost daily. There were constant "meetings" in the parking lot. And I might as well just mention the shifty characters that would hang around.

And this isn't just at the towers, this unfortunately spread throughout the entire neighborhood.

Let's just say, as soon as my lease was up we were out of there.

So my two cents... this may be public land but considering the crap that happens in this area I would move the cache.

geonerding

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 10:40:52 »
I understand that it's not one of Ottawa's most wonderful areas...but my question is whether 1 non player who is curious and harassing people would be enough to remove the cache.  There are a couple of caches in this area ... without any issue regarding a bad neighbourhood.

I agree that if confronted by this person that a full explanation should be given - perhaps I will camp out there tomorrow on my day off and await some harassment (I get the feeling she yells from her windows).

graciious

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 10:51:44 »
You could examine your hide, and the location, and try to move it 20 feet in one direction or the other putting finders out of her line of sight and reducing the impact the game is having on her.  Sometimes it is best to accomodate the crazies rather than cause problems for your finders.

Pokaroo

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 11:18:13 »
I believe we are all ambassadors for Geocaching and it is our responsibility to promote a positive image.

This woman noisy as she may be has a right to her privacy and security. We on the other hand are simply privileged to participate in a very fun hobby.

If it were my cache I would move it or achieve it immediately.

My two cents worth.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 12:00:14 »
Nothing To Ball About by aw&jd (GC1YAQT) http://coord.info/GC1YAQT

The cache is on public property, but clearly the neighbour is concerned with the people hanging about, so why not move it out of her radar? Remember that it's not about who is right or wrong here, it's about the caching experience you want others to enjoy. Would you bring other cachers to an area deep in mud and covered with garbage? Then why have some innocent geocacher subjected to a harangue by someone who doesn't want them there? I had a run in with her over a year ago and clearly time has only made things worse.

The logs for your cache should reflect the fun the finder had, not be a warning about the abuse they've endured.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

Pokaroo

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 12:18:39 »
There is a nice set of trees 60 meters away at N45 24.680 W75 39.225 why not put it there and solve the problem?

geonerding

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 12:23:09 »
Thanks to all for jumping on the topic  :o  tomorrow we will make a firm decision about what do with it...seems like it might be missing at the moment so we need to check on it.  I completely understand why not to have something near someone's fence.  We do want everyone to have an enjoyable experience!  8)