Author Topic: What Challenge Cache are you currently 'working' toward?  (Read 9062 times)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Re: What Challenge Cache are you currently 'working' toward?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 15:24:03 »
I'm working on 365 days of caching. I figure there's a challenge cache for it, ....... I have 55 days left.

Of course there's a challenge for it! Locally there are two "Ironman" challenges as they are known:
"We’re Going Streaking - 1 Year (Challenge)" by yukonshawn http://coord.info/GC2P7PJ and "IRONCACHER - 365 Days in a Row Challenge" by missbug http://coord.info/GC312YH

I consider these 'streak' challenges the toughest to get, there's no days off no matter what the weather or how you're feeling or what else is on your schedule for the day. It's really difficult to keep the consecutive day finds going! Well done on making it this far! Oddly enough I think this is one challenge that is actually easier for a new cacher, there are relatively more unfound caches available in the area.

My next challenge cache to be "found" will be "Carni Challenge Trail: Souvenirs" http://coord.info/GC51R79 which I found in May 2014 during a long hike on the 'Carni Challenge Trail', but at the time I had only 70 souvenirs on my profile. This Leap Day weekend I will earn two more to bring my total to 101 souvenirs! After almost 2 years of effort I can finally claim the find!

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

hmf213

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 16:04:29 »
I am also working on the 366 days of caching. It is getting a little more tricky in the winter. Very happy about buddysally's park and grab puzzles :-)
I started this to just get to 100 days. Now at 192 days I figure I might as well try to finish.

CanThai

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 22:35:28 »
I am also working on the 365 days challenge.  In 10 days, my countdown to success will be down to double digits.  One of the by-products of being a new cacher in the past year is that I will also complete my calendar as well.

BluePanther51

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 16:47:40 »
I'm attempting the 365 streak again.  My last attempt made it to 83 days before the police interrupted my search.
I'm also working to complete a few challenges I signed last year the 50 oldies (17 to go), bingo card (2 to go) and D4+ ( 42 to go) in the process I hope to finish the calendar and 81 grid (6 to go).

Update:  50 Oldies completed, D4+ completed, Grid completed, day 256 of streak,  356 of 366 days cached,  Need the next GAG event to complete the Bingo card.
Now working on the triple Fizzy (17 to go)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 13:37:49 by BluePanther51 »

str8upcacher

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 16:56:33 »
Last week I looked up the local challenge caches and I just found two today (CATS TO RATS CHALLENGE ONE and TWO) - they were easy ones which I had already qualified for. I have also qualified for some others, including Sadie's 4k Challenge, The GAG Century Club Challenge, Challenge - One Year/ One Thousand Finds, and GPC18 Alphabet + Challenge = Alphaballenge - I just have to go and find them.

As I am fairly new to caching, I still have my calendar to fill, and the 81 grid to complete, and I am also working on Restin' in caches.  I recently had a 40 plus day streak going, but that ended, and I am not going to try for consecutive days streaks again - I have too much else going on for that, and I found it took the fun out of caching. Maybe when I retire...

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2016, 21:43:20 »

My next challenge cache to be "found" will be "Carni Challenge Trail: Souvenirs" http://coord.info/GC51R79 which I found in May 2014 during a long hike on the 'Carni Challenge Trail', but at the time I had only 70 souvenirs on my profile. This Leap Day weekend I will earn two more to bring my total to 101 souvenirs! After almost 2 years of effort I can finally claim the find!

Blue -

A surprise trip to Manitoba earned me another souvenir this week, and I was able to claim the "Carni Challenge Trail: Souvenirs" http://coord.info/GC51R79 without waiting for the Leap Year souvenirs! Now to see what else is 'challenging' out there.....

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 17:48:29 »
The annual Easter long weekend road-trip is aimed at claiming two different challenge caches this year. The main target of the outing is to qualify for "Carni Challenge Trail: 5 Icons x 5 x 1 Day" http://coord.info/GC4RDQF and a find on "10-10-10 Challenge by FreeSpirited1" http://coord.info/GC5J6RJ is a serious possibility as we accomplish the former.

There's a few more in the area, we'll have to see what time allows.....

Bluelamb03
- Sheila Mendonça

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2016, 19:56:39 »
The geoMob Easter Roadtrip was an unqualified success this year!

Not only did we qualify for/find the two target Challenge caches  "Carni Challenge Trail: 5 Icons x 5 x 1 Day" http://coord.info/GC4RDQF and "10-10-10 Challenge by FreeSpirited1" http://coord.info/GC5J6RJ but we also managed two other Challenge caches on the way to Guelph:
"The Ontario Jasmer Challenge Cache" http://coord.info/GC2PJ48 and
"Difficulty 3.5 (Ontario Mini-Fizzy 9 Challenge)" http://coord.info/GC16Z2K the last of the Ontario Mini-Fizzy caches I had to find.

Lovely weather, and some interesting caches this weekend!

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça

BMIPIP

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 07:01:26 »
Originally I was working on the 365 days of geocaching but the snowstorm on February 16th ended that. I haven't found them yet but I qualify for the basic challenges like 30 days straight, the lilac challenge etc. Hoping to become a well rounded cacher with 8 different icons on a CITO day.  The actual CITO is one icon and we are trying to organize a breakfast event prior to which is an event icon.  That will be 25% right there. Qualified for 1000 caches in one year but it is actually calendar year so I don't qualify as mine was in 12 months, 11 actually. Have enough puzzles solved to try for the 25 puzzles in a day challenge so will try for that shortly.  After that it will be 100 non-trads in a row and possibly the one by cron where you need at least 1000 finds and your non-trads have to be at least 50% of your trads. As a new geocacher, it is definitely easier for me to get there than others. I think my percentage is 35 so the 100 non-trads in a row should help. After all these, I will then look at grids, etc.

CanThai

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 08:41:31 »
I am working on the 365 Days Challenge right now.  May 6th will be the Day.  The next day I will be attempting the 25 Puzzles in Day Challenge.  I think that I will have enough to complete it.  It will also be my 366 day in a row and complete my calendar.  Yes, it will be done in 366 days.  May 7th will also coincide with what should be the start of my 100 non-trads in a row.  I have a few more in my back pocket but will see how my schedule goes later this summer.  In the meanwhile, I am working on more puzzles to increase my percentage of non-traditionals found.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2016, 12:28:24 »
..... and possibly the one by cron where you need at least 1000 finds and your non-trads have to be at least 50% of your trads. As a new geocacher, it is definitely easier for me to get there than others. I think my percentage is 35 so the 100 non-trads in a row should help. After all these, I will then look at grids, etc.
I am working on more puzzles to increase my percentage of non-traditionals found.

Remember you two that LetterBox Hybrids and EarthCaches satisfy the 'non-tradtional' challenge as well.
Good luck!

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2016, 04:23:39 »
With the end of the challenge cache moratorium and its unknown consequences, we have made sure to complete the "100 FTF" challenge cache GC2GYRT just in time, for fear that it might get archived+locked within the next few days.
The only remaining challenge we are actively working toward is the "Early Bird Challenge" GC5KMXQ (100 finds on publication date). We still need another 27 qualifying caches, weight too many to complete in just a few days. For lack of new published challenge caches in the past year, we have now exhausted all the local challenge caches that we are willing to tackle.

I wonder if Tuesday's "scheduled site maintenance" is about implementing whatever Groundspeak has decided regarding challenge caches. I guess we will find out soon enough...

cd.cuts

BMIPIP

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2016, 06:17:27 »
If they archive the challenge caches, it might take them a bit.  I know I am new to the game but don't the challenge caches have the same icon as a mystery cache? IMHO that would mean they would have to look at every mystery cache to determine if it is a challenge or not.  When I search for them, I ask for the word challenge in the title but this also turns up non-challenge caches. Although I qualify for the simpler challenges, the only challenge cache I have actually found and signed is the 2000km in a day challenge.  I guess I had better get out and sign the other ones. Today looks like a perfect day for it.

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2016, 14:34:22 »
"Thanks" to the moratorium, they've had a whole year to identify which of the Mystery caches are challenges and which ones are not.
So they can be ready anytime (hint hint maybe on Tuesday) to do whatever they want about them.

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2016, 19:16:05 »
I'm hoping the challenge caches get their own icon.  To me "site maintenance" means more than clicking on an "archive" button; it means changes in the programming and that's what adding a new icon would require.  Keeping fingers crossed...