Author Topic: Geocaching segment in novel  (Read 1303 times)

shovel-o-depth

Geocaching segment in novel
« on: July 04, 2015, 08:38:44 »
Hi, I'm writing an urban fantasy/romance set in Ottawa. At one point I'm having my character show up to the Saturday caching with the GeoMob. I understand you usually do a puzzle cache.

Here's my struggle:

Should I include a real puzzle cache in Ottawa and thus potentially spoil a cache for someone? I'm thinking no.

or

Should I invent a fake one that is still solvable in some way for the reader? If so, can anyone help me invent this? I'm a newbie cacher (I have 8). I haven't seen a puzzle cache yet. This site makes them seem really complicated: http://www.geocachingnsw.asn.au/index.php/geocaching/finding-a-geocache/134-tips-for-solving-puzzle-caches.html

I'm hoping to come out to a Saturday morning sometime to experience a puzzle cache, but am out of town next week and have something most mornings.

Shovel 'o' Depth

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Re: Geocaching segment in novel
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 08:34:55 »
There's no problem with using an existing puzzle, just ask the cacheowner and they can help you out. If "spoilers" are a concern just use an 'archived' puzzle or change the 'name' to something relevant to your plot.

Puzzles can be very simple or devilishly hard, you can decide what kind of puzzle would suit your plot line best and ask around for a local example that helps the storyline best. You can even just make one up out of whole cloth if you wish....

The geoMob is somewhat fragmented now that summer is here and people are off on vacation here and there, but watch the forums or the geoMob list for upcoming outings. You can even reach out to individual members if you wish, the message feature on these forums or on the geocaching site are very useful.

Cheers,

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça