Author Topic: Coords just a bit off....  (Read 2571 times)

GPComd

• Baby Cacher
Coords just a bit off....
« on: September 27, 2010, 17:45:53 »
I think this one is the current leader in 'slightly off' coordinates on a newly published cache
GC2FQCZ Ceader Bush near Napanee

N 44° 15.881 W 077° 01.252

** Coordinates Changed From **
N 44° 15.817 W 077° 02.368
Distance From Old: 4874.8 feet or 1485.9 meters.
Updating coordinates.

G_Fours

• Jr. Cacher
Re: Coords just a bit off....
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 18:20:36 »
Wow almost one and a half km off. I guess it must have been an inexperienced cacher, some one who didn't quite know how to use his/her technology to it's full potential.

graciious

• Big Time Cacher
  • 115 Days.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 22:15:16 »
I was putting out my newest (the second and last micro in a tree) and accidently put the coordinates in wrong when I sent it for publishing.  Before the reviewer got to it, I caught my error and moved my cache from N 45° 28.658 W 004° 29.669 to N 45° 28.658 W 075° 29.669 where it belonged.

A little off from its intended location.

narcissa

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 23:53:38 »
Sometimes people transpose numbers when they're taking the coordinates from the GPS and putting them online, but that doesn't look like the situation here.

GPComd

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 15:17:15 »
graciious - would that have been a T5  just a few miles off the coast of France?  No muggles, at least!

graciious

• Big Time Cacher
  • 115 Days.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 19:58:10 »
Yes it would have been a 5/5 if I could only figure out how to get a spruce tree to survive out there so I could hide a micro in the ocean.

OllisMom

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 00:26:41 »
Hi guys! Can you please explain in step by step detail how on earth we are supposed to get the correct coordinates from using our iPhones? We've tried using the coordinates off of the iPhone COMPASS.. But when we logged it in- it wound up being way off from where we are planning to place the cache. We stood there within 2 ft of our chosen placing spot.. And screen shotted the compass- went home and input the numbers-and as I said, fail!

Do we need an actual GPS as in the ones in cars? We have been trying to figure this out for 2 weeks. Please someone help! Our massive gratitude!

Kate & Jen
Avid cachers but 1st time placers!

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 08:25:05 »
Hi guys! Can you please explain in step by step detail how on earth we are supposed to get the correct coordinates from using our iPhones? We've tried using the coordinates off of the iPhone COMPASS.. But when we logged it in- it wound up being way off from where we are planning to place the cache. We stood there within 2 ft of our chosen placing spot.. And screen shotted the compass- went home and input the numbers-and as I said, fail!

Kate & Jen
Avid cachers but 1st time placers!

Hi guys, thanks for being so careful about locating your cache hides. There's nothing so frustrating as looking for a cache and discovering (usually after an hour) that's it's 30 meters over there! I presume you've read the thread pinned to the top of this section http://www.canadascapitalcachers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=14.0 and the "newbies" topic pinned to the first section. You smartphone is a wonderful device, but it's not the most accurate GPS unit http://www.canadascapitalcachers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=1311.0 and you have to be aware of that.

There are apps for your device that can average out coordinates, you'll have to seek them out and install them. I use a dedicated handheld GPS because of the robust armour it has, I geocache in all sorts of terrain and conditions, but it also allows a good satellite lock and averages coordinates efficiently. It pays to learn the limitations and strengths of whatever device you use.

Cheers,

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça