Author Topic: "Coco7 #33 - While visiting Max" GC2G3B2  (Read 761 times)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
"Coco7 #33 - While visiting Max" GC2G3B2
« on: January 12, 2016, 09:55:11 »
Have you ever found a cache that's not supposed to be there? I don't mean a puzzle or multicache final that you've stumbled upon, that happens a lot, but rather an old archived cache that was never removed from the field. It happens often that players leave the game and their caches eventually get archived as the 'needs maintenance' or DNF logs build up, or the player archives the cache and never retrieves it from the world.

See MadameBibitte's thread at http://www.canadascapitalcachers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=1887.0 for an example.

A more recent example is the geoMob finding "Coco7 #33 - While visiting Max" http://coord.info/GC2G3B2 on January 9th, 2016. This cache, still in excellent condition by the way, was archived back in November 2013 as part of Coco7's notorious geocide that month, but like all his caches he did not bother to retrieve them.

Model12 has summed up my opinion very succinctly in a FaceBook post:

"Part of being a responsible CO is maintenance of your caches. Fix them when needed. Archive them if necessary, but clean up your containers if you do. Leaving your containers out in the wind (inexcusable IMHO) often results in just this type of situation; a new cache within metres of an archived one. Confusion happens. Not to mention the problem of geotrash causing poor publicity for the game. In this case, the cache was plainly visible from the trail, and could potentially cause muggles to over-react."

Part of cache ownership is removing the cache when you're done with it. I have archived a cache in the South March Highlands recently and on my next visit to the west end I'll trek out and pull it. It's what you do.....no?

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

Keeper of Maps

• Baby Cacher
    • My blog
Re: "Coco7 #33 - While visiting Max" GC2G3B2
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 12:24:35 »
I've often thought that a CITO-type event with the focus of removing known abandoned archived caches should be held.