Author Topic: Garmin 62S - Devouring Batteries ! Any Suggestions ?  (Read 1777 times)

brewsterjuice

Garmin 62S - Devouring Batteries ! Any Suggestions ?
« on: April 02, 2016, 10:47:35 »
My Garmin 62S goes through alkaline batteries at an alarming rate.  I have turned backlighting off when not required.  I am using good quality alkaline batteries.  Is this a common problem ?   Any suggestions on other settings I can change ?    I know that one option to save on batteries is to switch to rechargeables but if I don't do that, any suggestions on how to prolong alkaline battery life ?   Or, is there possibly just something faulty with my own GPSr ?  Thanks !

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
Re: Garmin 62S - Devouring Batteries ! Any Suggestions ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 07:20:28 »
Sadly, it is a common problem.  When Garmin switched to a (mostly) common hardware platform for their devices, things went downhill for us handheld lovers.  In the past, devices like the GPSMAP 60, 70, eTrex etc.. series all shared a common chipset, which was not overly powerful or fast but was easy on battery due to the rugged outdoor usage.  Then along came the Nuvi etc... series for cars, where they could add pretty colours and big bloated maps, voice, blutooth, etc.. because these units were traditionally left plugged in all the time.  To save money, Garmin went to a common hardware platform, putting the Nuvi style chipset into their handhelds, and the new line of GPS units was born.  Colorado, Oregon, Montana, 62, 64, etc...  and now we handheld folks get to enjoy all the wonderful battery draining bells and whistles as the car folk have, and also deal with unit failures and crashes more often than we care to admit.   The CPU in the new units is much more powerful so it can handle all that stuff, draw your maps faster, etc...  but, it eats battery for breakfast.  Sorry.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 11:54:30 »
I've always use Eneloop or Eneloop derived rechargeable batteries in my Garmin handheld units.

When I went from the eTrex 20 to the 62s, I ended up getting the higher capacity (~2500 mAh) black Eneloop rechargeable batteries (or the equivalent AmazonBasics batteries) because I noticed the 62s was a hungrier device compared the less powerful eTrex 20.

I've since moved on to an Oregon 600, and it too has a similar appetite due to the things Kirok noted.

Setting a screen timeout of 30 seconds and enabling battery saver mode do help.
I've also read that navigating via the compass screen vs the map screen saves some power usage.

brewsterjuice

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 12:25:32 »
Thanks for the great explanation Kirok !  Thanks for the info on rechargeables BlackRose67.   So now I have another question - if I decide to go with rechargeables, any recommendation on what to get for my GPS (ie. really only interested in AA size rechargeables).    I just re-read a thread in these forums from 2015 on batteries.  At that time, Amazon batteries were recommended.  Are they still ?   Costco carries eneloops and a recharger.  Is that a good option ? 

Thanks !

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 13:24:42 »
Here are the Amazon batteries I bought last time: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00HZV9WTM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the higher capacity batteries which are from the same source as the Black Eneloops.

If the ones are Costco are the white top ones and/or (Made in Japan), they are the higher quality ones.
If the batteries are Made in China, they are not as good.