Author Topic: Geocaching with Windows 10  (Read 1718 times)

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
Geocaching with Windows 10
« on: May 30, 2016, 00:15:23 »
Hello all,

We are currently geocaching using Windows 7, GSAK and Firefox.
It is getting closer to the final decision about whether we should take advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 or not.

Does any of you have good or bad experience to share with us regarding upgrading their perfectly-working Windows 7 to Windows 10, in particular related to geocaching software and websites?

cd.cuts

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
Re: Geocaching with Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 00:29:02 »
Hi,

I have been using Windows 10 for a while now and the experience is generally positive: Microsoft Edge (if you decide to adopt it) works just fine with the geocaching site itself as well as most others I use (like geocaching toolbox) but, for some reason, does not work with the gpsvisualizer site.  Of course other browsers like Chrome or Firefox work just fine on Win10 so when I need gpsvisualizer I use one of them.

I don't use GSAK myself but I know of at least two cachers who use it and are on Windows 10 and they have not mentioned any problems.  There are no connectivity problems between my Garmin and Windows but, since I don't use any of them, I can't comment at all on Garmin software such as Basecamp or Mapsource.

One thing Windows 10 isn't doing for me though: help decrease my DNF-to-found ratio...

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
Re: Geocaching with Windows 10
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 12:48:40 »
I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and have not encountered any issues with GSAK (I'd say it works better under Windows 10 than it did under Windows 8.1).

I use Chrome as my browser of choice, so can't say much on that front.  I have no issues with geocaching.com, mygeocachingprofile.com, Project-GC, Rumkin (encryption resources).

I think my wife's computer came with Windows 7 and it upgraded to Windows 10 with no issues at all.  GSAK works great on it.

Windows 7 entered extended support on January 13, 2015; What that means is that you will get security updates until January 13, 2020.