Author Topic: Forest destruction west of GFR  (Read 208 times)

elyob

• Full Time Cacher
Forest destruction west of GFR
« on: January 07, 2017, 16:52:22 »
If your to-do-list includes Sam's Cache (GC1RF3W) and others in the area, you may want to move it up the list.

The destruction of the forest WEST of the Goulbourn Forced Road (GFR) is well underway. I set out to rescue my geocaches here. The first cache (GC2QC2R) on my list was already gone, in a clear cut wasteland where last week there was a forest. The second cache (GC32F1Y) is within 20 m of the clear cutting machines but frozen under deep snow. My third cache (GC2P27G) is just beyond the well flagged "development zone" and it just might survive.

Access from the GFR is no longer an option, especially if you see or hear machinery. As of today, I noted no signage when coming from what was once known as the First Line.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
Re: Forest destruction west of GFR
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 13:13:35 »
Yikes!  Thanks for the head's up.  My old GAG13 puzzle, "Do you have time?" GC1MJ7V is likely not long for this world.  For the best anyway, as I planned on killing it off.  Too far west to maintain.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 23:32:25 »
Yikes!  Thanks for the head's up.  My old GAG13 puzzle, "Do you have time?" GC1MJ7V is likely not long for this world.  For the best anyway, as I planned on killing it off.  Too far west to maintain.
I'm heading out Saturday to find that one, since it's been in my "solved but not found pile for ages".

Would you like me to retrieve it?

elyob

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 22:02:10 »
I seek some advice concerning GC2P27G.  I expect that this location will survive construction and will eventually be part of green space in a future suburb.  However, in the mean time, all cachers must now pass No Trespassing signs to get to the cache container. 
Should I archive the cache immediately, due to legal concerns and safety issues? 
Should I temporarily disable the cache, hoping reviewers leave it be until the construction is complete? 
Should I just let things continue as they are, hoping that my cache is not putting cachers at risk?

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 15:18:24 »
I would vote for archiving the listing and placing a new one once the construction has come to an end and access is clear once again.

Thanks for looking after all these caches for so long. I enjoyed this little woodlot and its great trails over the years. It will be interesting to see what remains after the suburb goes in....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça