Author Topic: virtual rewards  (Read 306 times)

flyingflipper

• Baby Cacher
virtual rewards
« on: August 25, 2017, 12:41:35 »
did anyone else get a virtual reward or have any ideas on where one should be published?

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Re: virtual rewards
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 21:33:17 »
Anyone else?

Did you get awarded one?

Here in the NCR the only people I know who have received one are the local reviewers and cron.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 09:09:32 »
Apparently, the algorithm favoured cachers who archived 76 of their 80 caches and only had 4 left that had some favourite points. Super...

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 12:56:11 »
I confess I'm a little disappointed with the 'algorithm' and who got the Virtual Reward caches, but it's not my circus and these are not my monkeys.
Perhaps this will be a recurring promotion and more will be awarded in the future.

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça

portera

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 14:35:08 »
I confess I'm a little disappointed with the 'algorithm' and who got the Virtual Reward caches, but it's not my circus and these are not my monkeys.
Perhaps this will be a recurring promotion and more will be awarded in the future.

Blue -

I have to admit, I'm finding it hard to not be a bit pissy about this. I will get over it eventually.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 15:20:55 »
I have to admit, I'm finding it hard to not be a bit pissy about this. I will get over it eventually.

I understand completely. Many people have contributed to the game over the years, in many different ways, and it's difficult not to judge or compare their contributions. Your efforts as a founder of G.E.O. and the number of caches you've placed, especially the recent CANADA 150 geo-art, make you a prime candidate for this Reward, in my opinion. Clearly the algorithm didn't think so, or perhaps you were chosen but only the lucky few were randomly selected from those considered worthy?

No matter, every worthy cacher couldn't get the award, only 4000 were awarded around the world. Rest assured you in particular remain high in our esteem even if you didn't get a Virtual Reward.

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça

flyingflipper

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 15:56:27 »
Anyone else?

Did you get awarded one?

yes I was awarded one and I would agree that the algorithm isnt perfect. I definatley wouldnt have chosen my self out of all the cachers in the world as the top 4000. I've only ever hidden 7 or 8 caches!

portera

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 13:57:03 »
Rest assured you in particular remain high in our esteem even if you didn't get a Virtual Reward.

Garsh. Thanks Lib. You too!  ;D

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 15:29:29 »
yes I was awarded one and I would agree that the algorithm isnt perfect. I definatley wouldnt have chosen my self out of all the cachers in the world as the top 4000. I've only ever hidden 7 or 8 caches!

Well this is even more mystifying.....

cron hasn't been active in over a year and has archived all but four of his caches, and gets a Virtual. You have fewer than a dozen hides and get the reward? They must be super popular caches.....

The "algorithm" makes no sense at all, but you've got to go with it!

How about the cairn atop King Mountain in Gatineau Park? Scenic hike, but difficult to get too in the winter when they close the roads.

The tomb of the unknown soldier? Popular tourist stop, your inbox will be full of log entries all year round.

Lots of possible memorials, commemorative plaques, pretty views and local history to think about.

Good luck!

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça