Author Topic: GAG25 dates and theme  (Read 272 times)

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
GAG25 dates and theme
« on: September 07, 2017, 22:40:08 »
Join us on Saturday, October 14, 2017 and help celebrate Canada's 150th birthday with some 'birthday' related caches, some '150' related caches, or just some '150 power trail' of trads!! Of course the fun starts Friday the 13th at 6pm as we all start searching for caches new and old in the Ottawa area!

Richelieu-Vanier Community Centre
Kiwanis Hall
300 Des Pères-Blancs
Vanier

N 45° 26.630 W 075° 39.590

Other needed information:

We all get together and swap stories at the above coordinates between 6 and 8 PM Saturday, October 14th.

The hall does not have a restaurant, so bring your own dinner. This cuts down on costs for everyone and allows freedom of movement around the hall without being tied to a table and a bill.

Sorry, but *NO* alcohol can be served or consumed at this edition of the event, so please do not bring any along. The CCC team will bring along a selection of soda and juices to share with everyone, or feel free to bring your own non-alcoholic beverage of choice.

Please post a note on this page indicating if you can make it and how many will be in your party.

Parking is available onsite, and public transit is at the doorstep.

<><><><><><><><>

Event Guidelines

Everyone who wishes to participate in this event should head out to find as many GAG25 caches as they can from 6:00 p.m., Friday October 13th until 6:00 p.m. Saturday October 14th. Don't get caught starting before 6:00 p.m. or you will be the victim of much taunting and ridicule!

At 6:00 p.m. on the 14th after a LONG day of caching, we will meet at the Richelieu-Vanier Community Centre, Kiwanis Hall (300 Des Pères-Blancs, Vanier - posted coordinates).  It is a bring your own food and drink event! (See below for some suggestions).

If you want to contribute by creating a cache (that is totally optional and up to you, keep in mind that all the usual cache listing guidelines apply and that you will have to maintain the cache afterwards, it is not just for the duration of the event), between now and October 7th, hide a cache in the Ottawa area. Please don't wait until the last minute; give the reviewers plenty of time to post all caches and our volunteers time to create a bookmark list. If you plan on placing a large number of caches for the event, submit the cache pages for all of the caches at least ten days in advance of the release date. Leave a "note to reviewer" indicating that the cache is to be released on Wednesday October 11th. All caches placed for the event will be published no earlier than Wednesday afternoon, and no later than Friday afternoon October 13th, so you can plan your routes and solve any puzzles.

You should state on your cache page that "This cache has been placed for the GAG25 event and is intended to be found on or after 6:00 PM on the 13th of October, 2017". With the guideline changes in regards to ALRs (additional logging requirements) we cannot indicate that a log for caches found before 6:00 p.m. will be deleted, but you can be creative with your comments to strike fear into the early adopters. Ex: "Anyone caught logging this cache early will be deemed un-Parliamentarian, or elected to the Senate." Have fun with it.

Please help with cache identification by prefacing your cache name with GAG25, i.e. "GAG25 - Get Off Your Duff, eh?"

When submitting your cache, leave a reviewer note asking them to place the cache in the HOLD FOR GAG25 PUBLICATION file for publication en masse with the other GAG25 caches on Wednesday October 11th.

You may want to consider hiding just one cache to keep the work down for the reviewers. Also, if you're placing a multi-cache and/or puzzle, be sure to use the "additional waypoints" feature on the cache creation page to allow reviewers quicker access to determining boundary limitations. The quicker they can get their job done, the more likely your cache will get published in time for the event. Note that most people want to find many caches during a GAG event, so multi-caches and/or puzzles that take several hours to solve are not usually very popular. If you're planning a long multi make it explicit in the cache description.  Also, geocaching.com has added several new attribute icons for caches.  Please make good use of the attributes on your cache page to help everyone during the hunt. Use the appropriate attributes  (winter-friendly or not, how long a hike, etc).  In particular, caches with terrain 1 should have the "wheelchair accessible" attribute.

Have any ideas to add to this event? Looking to volunteer some time to help? Have event related questions?
Please send us an email through the "Canada's Capital Cachers GAG Committee" profile page at geocaching.com and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

All caches will be listed as a bookmark link on the event page just prior to the event.

* DO NOT * bring swag / door prizes.  There will be a few door prizes awarded to attendees, but unlike previous GAG events, there will NOT be prize tables or tickets for general swag trading.

Please post a "will attend" note on the event page indicating if you can make it and how many will be in your party.

Suggested places to pick-up food before arriving at the hall

N 45° 26.352  W 75° 39.822 : Pizza, Submarines, etc...
    N 45° 26.504  W 75° 40.334 : Subway
    N 45° 26.975  W 75° 39.096 : Dairy Queen
    N 45° 26.933  W 75° 39.066 : The Works gourmet burgers
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 13:01:17 by model12 »
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

RCA777

• Baby Cacher
    • Central Ontario Geocachers
Re: GAG25 dates and theme
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 20:38:34 »
Wording suggestion from a semantic wielding CS dude (perhaps for future GAG events)

Text such as:
"This cache has been placed for the GAG25 event and is intended to be found on or after 6:00 PM on the 13th of October, 2017"

Might cause a Reviewer to suggest something such as:
"This cache has been placed with the intention of being found for GAG25 which begins at 6:00 PM on the 13th of October, 2017".

Former = The "on or after" is somewhat Additional Logging Requirement-y as there are "expectations" set.
Latter = Intent is demonstrated - however, anyone who does log a cache as soon as it's Published isn't breaking any rules - it's just implied they aren't doing what the CO intended.

All seems good and awesome for a bunch of GAG25 caches - I wish I could be there, but I'll be in the Portland, ME.
Have fun all!

Xira

• Full Time Cacher

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...

Xira

• Full Time Cacher
Re: GAG25 dates and theme
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 00:13:24 »
https://giphy.com/gifs/eye-roll-bitch-please-Fjr6v88OPk7U4

Xira FTW! :-)

Here's the content of a reviewer note that CS posted on one of my GAG25 caches prior to publication:

Hi there!
I noticed a tiny wording issue which.... would likely have me yelled at for being inconsistent :)

Placed with the intention of being found for GAG25 which starts/on October 13th @ 6pm = :)
I look forward to reading your logs after 6:00 p.m. on Friday, October 13, 2017. = :(

The former implies a preference of when the cache can be found/logged.
The latter loosely implies an instruction as to when the cache can be found/logged.

It's covered here -> https://wiki.groundspeak.com/display/GEO/Ontario#Ontario-readytobefound

How about the text...
"This cache has been placed for the GAG25 event and is intended to be found on or after 6:00 PM on the 13th of October, 2017. I look forward to reading your logs".

...then we should be good to go!

Thanks for your understanding.
Yes. I know. But I'd rather be eye rolled before it's Published vs. after!

CS

When RCA777's note appeared here, my eyes rolled because I find the semantics to be, well, semantics. Thus the eyerolling GIF. Don't read anything into the name of the GIF! It's just the eyerolling.

Then I noticed something. Notice the text that CS recommends I use, which I did. But RCA777 doesn't like that very text. It's very strange that CS and RCA777 don't agree. What does that say about semantics?